4,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Lance > Cheston ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Detonation or did the the valve fail first?

Once I get home again I'll post up a picture of a section of valve stuck in a piston. Ours was from some some bad valve springs.

Sorry to see that Jeff.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Nice melt down! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Very impressive.
But come on, Jeff. We'd be MUCH MORE impressed if you'd stop this crap and let that poor car relax a little bit and just run some easy 9-second passes :D

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Very impressive.
But come on, Jeff. We'd be MUCH MORE impressed if you'd stop this crap and let that poor car relax a little bit and just run some easy 9-second passes :D
When you shoot for 8's, sometimes it shoots back!

That is some nasty carnage Jeff. I'm sure you will come back better and stronger though!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey !!!!

Hey !!!! You Want To Compare Piston's & Blocks . I Got A Pile For YA!!!! Super Charge Pile , NOS Pile , Take Your PICK !!!!!

FIX IT & LET'S . RACE ! '
'

THE BADDER BOWTIE

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm aluminum..... in the ltx shootout thread i believe he said he blew a intake hose causing it to go rich and kaboom!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The only reason for letting these pictures post is to make sure the people that want big power understand you're not playing with a normal engine anymore. If anything is wrong it will do what you see. Your tuneup window shrinks as the cylinder pressure goes up so what you did before with no harm will now trash a motor. It's really not a big deal, change a sleeve, replace a piston and fix the head and off you go. I'll be at Atlanta with it and the motor usally wins the battle over the drivetrain. The motor is very reliable unless something else, like this time, makes something happen.

Thanks for posting these!!

John, I also have a pile of pistons and luckly not blocks for all the testing to get the tune right. Thats why I started with the Alum block because I had been around long enough to know what big power does from time to time. You know what I'm talking about and the only person at this power level that can relate.

Yes, that is a rich burn. You can tell by which valve it takes out, exhaust is rich and intake valve is lean.

I know what went wrong on this one so it's not a big deal, just fix it and all will be good again. The parts are the other thing. This engine stayed together because it has great parts in it. It didn't even drop the valve with half of it gone. It even cracked the top of the piston if you look and one side is all but gone but it still ran and didn't even smoke out the exhaust when I started it back up. I knew it had a valve issue but didn't think I had hurt the piston very bad. You can never guess just how bad you hurt it until you pull it apart. I have driven it back to the trailer with more damage than this but you would never know with it running.

Main point is if you want huge power this will happen at some point no matter how much you try to make it so it can't. More the cylinder pressure the bigger the bomb. Anyone that looks at this and thinks OMG is not ready for this type of motor. Building one is just the start of the money trail. Just understand what you're getting into before you make the jump.

·
Registered
483 Posts
even rosslers stickers look good! good luck with putting the motor back together!

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.......Yes, that is a rich burn. You can tell by which valve it takes out, exhaust is rich and intake valve is lean.........
Nice piece of info ;) ....that I hope I never have to use.

KW

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
LOL KW. So true.

AHHHH sorry Jeff!!!
Hey look that Badder John fella is back...
John never left. He's been here since 1997. Where you been, kid? :D

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
MadMav said:
Yeah, I'm not ready for that kinda power....

I couldn't AFFORD that kind of power! cwm3

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
good stuff Jeff!! (even though it's bad stuff). Every little tid bit of knowledge we can get from the guys that go out and do this kinda thing is of great value.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Very impressive.
Relax is an nice phrase. At 4500 pounds plus it still takes 1200HP to run those 9's. I think one thing people forget about is cars like mine or Johns that weigh over 4000 pounds have to make 7 second power to run 8's. You have to be on the edge of things to make a small block engine put out 7 second power and thats why you see what you see from time to time on engine damage. You put John's engine or my engine in a normal legal 7 second chassis car and it would run those 7's because its almost 2000 pounds ligher than either of our cars. John's was 4200 plus last I knew and mine is 4500 plus, most 7 second cars are only 2200 to 2500. A 3000 pound 7 second car would be over the edge so don't forget what you are seeing with fast Impalas or what you may be trying to do with your own Impala.

Just remeber to run the same times with Impala's is always going to take more power than the normal race cars you see. Even the guys that are taking weight out of their Impala's will never get it to the same level as the smaller cars that took weight out of their car and will always have to make bigger power numbers to stay even with the smaller cars.

If I relax it would still be a 10 second car at best. I know I need to make some passes at the events so you guys get to see it can run laps like the home town crowd already knows because they have seen it. A little good luck would be nice for a change when I leave town.

Karl, I don't care sharing at this point as this car is about as far as I can take it. The rear ring gear is the fuse in the car and I think I almost have the power curve worked out to finally put up an 8 without taking the ring gear out. To go any faster would require a different rearend, maybe different tranny and a big weight reduction. I'm about out of tricks to make this stuff work to apply the power I have or more power I could make. So if I can help someone from burning their money by trial and error I have no problem with that. Thats why I decided to post this so the people that want huge numbers understand what they are walking into and better have a pile of money and the ability to do most the work themselves. But I only know what I know and leave other setups to those that have done them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts