Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I said what the he11 & ordered a set of these:
They're listed as fitting 1977-1990 Caprice, so (hopefully) shouldn't need too many mods to fit my wagon.
They were only $115, and are made with 16 gage wall tubing, while most headers in this price range (and higher) are made with 18 gage.
Yes, I know, I should have got Clear Image Tri-Y's instead.
I'll keep you guys posted on the install, stay tuned...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Right side header is going to contact the AC lines. Be very careful bending them for clearance because they will most likely break. Of course if you don't have or don't care about the AC it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you have the same headers on your car?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you have the same headers on your car?
No, my current car has stock manifolds.

Years ago I went through the 'cheap' header ordeal using the afterburner headers from Flowtech. They fit much better than any of the generic long tubes from Summit, Jegs, etc. Installed them on my wagon and another guys SS. The thread still exists but the pictures are long gone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking at those jegs headers, I think the #1 primary is going to be close to the drivers side motor mount shell. Clearance from the pass. side frame rail may be tight too (esp. if motor mounts are worn).
I'll keep you guys posted on the install, stay tuned...
Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well looks like I'm SOL. The driver side header hits the oil cooler, more precisely the flange that holds the oil lines. You guys run into this before?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well looks like I'm SOL. The driver side header hits the oil cooler, more precisely the flange that holds the oil lines. You guys run into this before?
On the wagon, I ditched the oil cooler and went with a regular oil filter adapter on the block. The headers are still pretty close and I can only run the short filter. But, I also have a bypass filter installed, so filtration is not an issue.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I believe this was also an issue when I installed the Afterburner headers. I took care of it by removing the oil cooler stuff and installing an old school adapter from a TBI engine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the wagon, I ditched the oil cooler and went with a regular oil filter adapter on the block. The headers are still pretty close and I can only run the short filter. But, I also have a bypass filter installed, so filtration is not an issue.
Do you know what part number is regular adapter? I'm probably going to get one from junkyard, would like to know what donor vehicles I can pull one from.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Do you know what part number is regular adapter? I'm probably going to get one from junkyard, would like to know what donor vehicles I can pull one from.
For factory part find an adapter from a Roadmaster Sedan with the LT1.

That adapter still drops the filter away from the block some though. I would just grab an old school adapter from any 90s GM pickup truck with a V8. That allows you to run the bigger filter used on the older engines.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The adapter was from a core engine at the shop, but it looks like GM used the same adapter from about 1968 until 2000, so finding a salvage yard part should be pretty easy. If not, here is a cheap one from Summit-

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update: almost have the driver side header in, #1 primary is about 1/8" from engine side of engine mount.
Header hits the frame stiffener between k-member and side rail. I didn't expect these to fit perfectly, but they're listed as fitting <1990 B-cars, so shouldn't be interference with the frame.
I guess I'll bend/hammer it to get clearance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, my current car has stock manifolds.

Years ago I went through the 'cheap' header ordeal using the afterburner headers from Flowtech. They fit much better than any of the generic long tubes from Summit, Jegs, etc. Installed them on my wagon and another guys SS. The thread still exists but the pictures are long gone.
"Ordeal" Yup, my thoughts exactly

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The ordeal part was trying out other brands for the most part. The afterburner header fit like a glove, cleared everything and my Dynomax pipes hooked up to the headers perfectly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe so- Rock Auto shows the same Melling part for an Astro van 4.3 as a 1/2 ton truck with a 350.
It looks like there's a gasket between cooler adapter & block. Is there supposed to be a gasket between non-cooler adapter & block?

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
It looks like there's a gasket between cooler adapter & block. Is there supposed to be a gasket between non-cooler adapter & block?

Thanks
I have never seen a gasket on the regular adapter. You can get a gasket if it would make you feel better, but I've never used one. Then again, my 383 did self destruct though....(totally unrelated to the oil system)

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
To clarify, the 1968 and up " typical sb chev" adapter doesn't a gasket.

LT1 cooler adapter does,
LT1 non cooler ofset adapter, 98 % sure it does

One thing to remember, any gasket hanging inboard of the adapters, is on the "clean side" If unsupported extra comes loose, it goes striaght into the bearings.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts