Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I got the driver side header in. The passenger side just hits a break line on the frame rail when bolted down. I think this is why:

When I unscrewed the nut of bolt indicated above, I was able to easily pull bolt out by hand without lifting the engine.
Bad engine mount?
I don't know if this is in the scope of this thread, but Rockauto lists an AC Delco mount for $87 & a Pioneer (2nd most expensive) mount for $6. Is the huge premium for Delco mount worth it?
Do both motor mounts have to be disconnected in order to lift engine enough to get only one out?
Anybody have experience with polyurethane engine mounts? How objectionable is the added vibration they impart? (please keep in mind car already has polyurethane body mounts)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
The fact the bokt slides out is not an indicator of mount condition
There are tabs that support the weight.
The fact the bracket is touching the cross member DOES .
That mount is sooooo done!!

Nothing wrong with the cheapo mounts.
I have them but I do recommend filling the voids with urethane, like windshield urethane.

If you choose the poly mount route and they are not readily available, I I have a set here in BC

·
Registered
251 Posts
I picked up some urethane engine/trans mounts on a close-out sale and used them when the engine went back into the wagon. Can't say of they transfer more vibration than OEM or not because the original ones were like yours with the upper mount resting on the frame and was harsh.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I got a pinhole in one of the AC lines while bending it for clearance.
Guess I need new AC lines, any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I bought a new set of lines from Carquest via work and the turned out just fine. First I bought a super cheap set from Rock Auto and do no recommend anyone else does. The low side fitting snapped right off when I connected the recovery machine to it.

Of course since you need to make custom bends due to the headers I would just have some custom lines made. We make them at work and can obtain special fittings and such. Most any semi truck repair facility should have the same abilities.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I bought a new set of lines from Carquest via work and the turned out just fine. First I bought a super cheap set from Rock Auto and do no recommend anyone else does. The low side fitting snapped right off when I connected the recovery machine to it.

Of course since you need to make custom bends due to the headers I would just have some custom lines made. We make them at work and can obtain special fittings and such. Most any semi truck repair facility should have the same abilities.
Without having a drawing, could a truck shop use my clearanced (but cracked) lines as a guide?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

It took the lines to 2 different hydraulic shops and local truck repair facility, all of them said they couldn't do it.
How would the custom line be connected to the compressor? Drill & tap the manifold to accept an adapter fitting OR remove the cracked 5/8" high pressure line from the manifold & replace it?
By the way, how are the lines secured to the manifold? It doesn't look like they're brazed or welded :unsure:

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
They make adapters that will connect to the compressor and then connect new lines to it. However I have never looked into it and they may not be available for our exact compressor. There are so many different ones it isn’t funny. The shops you went to either know there isn’t or didn’t want to research. My experience leans towards the latter, lol.

The factory lines can be “massaged” enough to work fine because I accomplished it on an Impala I put headers on. I just had to be patient and work slowly. On my car I didn’t care because the AC was dead. I don’t bother with it on my current wagon because the last thing I want to lose in central Florida is my AC.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts