Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Well, I'm chasing a suspension (I think) noise in my car too. Since you've all been so helpful in helping others chase them, maybe you can help me out. The noise is a faint "jingling" noise, like almost the sound a bag full of small aluminum washers would make if you shook it. It happens on all bumps, even shallow ones. I cannot reproduce the noise in the driveway.

I only just noticed this after my last round of mods (brakes). I do not know if it was present before them as I had the common "brake pad rattle" over bumps before. So I fixed that, but it may have been masking the noise i hear now. Or maybe this is completely new?

Any ideas as to where I could start? :confused:

TIA! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check exh manifold bolts/spacers for tightness and torque.

Check exh downpipe connections to the intermediate pipes (for same as above).

Check intake manifold bolts (for same).

Check serp belt idler pulley (sloppy bearing will make the pulley "ring").

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by kdrolt:
Check exh manifold bolts/spacers for tightness and torque.

Check exh downpipe connections to the intermediate pipes (for same as above).

Check intake manifold bolts (for same).

Check serp belt idler pulley (sloppy bearing will make the pulley "ring").
Thanks Ken. All those items were checked again this weekend. I've got new headers, cats & idler. Also recently did the IM gaskets, too...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When my sway bar endlinks were down to metal on metal contact, I got a "rattling" sound over rough surfaces, almost a "jingle" at times due to metal sleeve bouncing against the washers. Wiggling them did not show anything, but upon disassembly, the bolts were about 1/3 of the way worn through and metal to metal was obvious. I replaced mine with an energy suspension set in black. No more jingling/rattling and regained the use of the front sway bar.

Its a cheap "throw parts at it" move and if you have any miles on your endlinks, wouldn't be a mistake.

-PJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'll pick up some ES sway bar links when I pick up my rear end fluid today.
I was thinking of those, too.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still chasing down a very similar noise. My whole front end is replaced, except the pitman arm. I cannot replicate the noise in my driveway either. I was reading that the parking brake cable on the driver side can sometimes make a similar noise. I have yet to check that out.

Keep us posted on what you find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by xr72z:
I'm still chasing down a very similar noise. My whole front end is replaced, except the pitman arm. I cannot replicate the noise in my driveway either. I was reading that the parking brake cable on the driver side can sometimes make a similar noise. I have yet to check that out.

Yeah, I saw that too on Scoob's thread. I checked that this weekend when I was installing the Air Lift bags and it was tight, but I may hit it with some White Lithium grease at all it's contact points, to be safe...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by toomanytoyz:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by xr72z:

Yeah, I saw that too on Scoob's thread. I checked that this weekend when I was installing the Air Lift bags and it was tight, but I may hit it with some White Lithium grease at all it's contact points, to be safe...
</font>[/QUOTE]Alot of my jingling came from the gas tank shield. I stuff some cardboard in between the shield and frame for a quick fix. That killed alot of the noise, but theres still something in front driver side killing my quiet ride...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i had a jingle coming from my brake rotors(don't ask how). changed those and the front pads and now i think i ahve the end link jingle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the noise is from front, it could be brake caliper rubber bushings worn out; it the noise is from rear, it could be muffler and resonator rubber hanger detorated so that resoantor hits the chasseing frame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, i changed the rubber bushings in my calipers and the noise is still there. we might wanna rule that one out possibly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a similar noise driving me crazy. My rear sway bar bolts had come loose about a week or so after installing my new HO rear bar and UMI lcas. Just something to check.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm pretty sure I found the trouble to be my sway bar end links yesterday. When I was under the car installing my power steering cooler I took a look at them and they were both loose with the car on ramps (suspension loaded). There was like 1/4" of play on both sides...

I dropped the car off at my mechanic's last night to install the gears and posi. I left a set of ES sway bar links in the box, too.

Hopefully that'll take care of it!

Thanks for the help! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.