Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my repair manual it says i can use a jumper wire to read codes. when i do this the fans come on and no cel. i cant get the codes. if i trace the wires back to the pcm can i use the jumper wires from there. if so can someone tell me where the wires go into the pcm. this would save me the time of tracing the wires. there is 4 plugs that goes into the pcm labled red,blue,black,and the last one was green. not sure on the last color.if the jumper wire dosen't work will a scan tool work? its a 94 caprice classic wagon 5.7 please respond. thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can only use a jumper up to model year 93. 94-96 will not flash codes with a jumper wire no matter what. This has been an error in the Chilton manuals (possibly others) for years. You need either a scan tool or laptop/tuning cable/software.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I can't understand why Chilton keeps putting wrong information in their manuals. You must have a scan tool to pull codes on the 94-96 B-body. I use the AutoxRay 5000. It is a little expensive, but it's a very handy tool.

I also have DataMaster on an old laptop, it is very handy too, but more difficult to use and setup, plus I haven't used it in so long, I would have to re-learn some stuff!:p

·
Registered
199 Posts
Chilton's probably does it because there is little return on investment for updating the manual. Keep in mind these cars are about 15 years old now. There is not much incentive to change the manuals at this point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks guys that helps alot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.