Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 96 caprice with a 5.7 Where I'm confused is it has Caprice SS emblems on the rear qtrs where the Impala SS emblems go and Caprice SS emblem on the trunk lid and in the center of the the dash between the heater controls and stereo controls. Are these just emblems that are made aftermarket to kinda clone the Impala or did they make a Caprice SS?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Did they make one? Yes,but it was primarily for export to the middle east. I'm sure some on here are more aware of the finer points of those cars. More likely,someone put SS badges on a Caprice.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
It appears to be a B4U that someone has stuck the Caprice SS signs on. Look at the SPID sticker inside the truck lid. If it were a real Caprice SS it would have WX8 on the sticker and 17" wheels and tires specified on the driver's door sticker. It most likely has B4U instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked and it has a B4U on the sticker. That is a bummer It would have been cool to have something special. Luckily it is real clean with nice leather and everything works and only has 99K on the odo. It has lowering coils in it so it has a nice stance.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I suspect many on this forum would tell you that you scored a nice ride regardless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the nice comments. I like the look it has. I want to change out the suspension as it has a rough ride with the coils so I want to go to spindles and would like to get the Impala SS wheel well moldings. I like the power but would like to up it just a bit. Change of wheels and the kit to center the rear wheels.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments. I like the look it has. I want to change out the suspension as it has a rough ride with the coils so I want to go to spindles and would like to get the Impala SS wheel well moldings. I like the power but would like to up it just a bit. Change of wheels and the kit to center the rear wheels.
Welcome and nice score. Car looks really nice and I have always liked that color. As was mentioned, GM did have a CapriceSS it sent overseas but back in the day you could buy a lot of the CapriceSS items right at your local Dealer.

My car started out like yours and has some of the same emblems or ones I modified like the Caprice SS logo on the trunk from the Caprice ClaSSic emblem that used to be there. The script doesn't match the Impala/Caprice SS Scripting that GM used, but oh well, there is nothing else on the back of the car other than the Bowtie on the trunk lock.

...and the Quarter Scripts on the Rear Panels...

My car was very similar to yours back when I started my Conversion. The Chrome Wheel Well Molding, Door Handles, Body Belt Trim, etc. have all been removed or replaced. I wanted it to look like an Impala, but didn't clone it to one and kept the Caprice Theme on the car. I prefer a car that is a little different from the crowd. Here is how it looks now after most of the body mods using Impala parts.

Mine was pretty easy since the car was Black to begin with and this was one of 3 Impala Colors offered. If you are looking to do something similar with the Wheel Well Moldings that you were talking about, you may have a hard time finding them color matched already. You may need to talk to a painter and see if they can paint them to match your existing paint. They may even be able to scuff up your old moldings and Paint to match.

EDIT - Actually looking at those pics a little closer, that color seems to be very close to the Dark Cherry Metalic (DCM) on the Impalas. You may be able to find moldings, door handles, etc to match.

Good luck with your mods and keep us posted on how you car ends up. Sometimes the fun part of owning the car is doing the mods. Dont worry, you wont run out of stuff to do, I haven't yet. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have painted several classic cars so doing any paint work will be easy. I love painting cars I love the gratification of laying down a nice paint job then wet sand and buff it to a mirror shine. So doing the wheel well moldings wont be hard I just didn't know if they are the same as what came stock on a Impala. Next week on my days off I'm going to cut and buff the paint. It is shiny but there are some scratches I want to get out and who ever buffed it last has a bunch of swirls in it and I can't stand seeing swirls in paint. It drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Nice DCM B4U Caprice! Hey it is special :) There were fewer(by far) 1996 B4U's produced than Impala SS's. Carefully inch out the trim sheet from under right front seat springs and you'll have some more cool info,too.Stock tire size is 235/70R/15. Good luck with it!
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well unfortunately I have to sell the car. I have a real bad back and with driving this car over 85 miles a day the seats are killing my back and is creating me a lot of discomfort.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
check out the bonnevile seats. i have them in mine. i got the plain non power but leather. they are alot more comfortable. you may even be able to find the 12 ways for a decent price and if your good with electrical you can install them, ALOT more support than the factory flat buckets. i suck at wiring thats why i went the the manual leathers but still they are so much better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Caprice SS

I just bought a 96 caprice with a 5.7 Where I'm confused is it has Caprice SS emblems on the rear qtrs where the Impala SS emblems go and Caprice SS emblem on the trunk lid and in the center of the the dash between the heater controls and stereo controls. Are these just emblems that are made aftermarket to kinda clone the Impala or did they make a Caprice SS?
They did make them for export. But yours looks like a Caprice not a SS.
I worked at the Arlington,Tx assembly plant were they were built.
They had amber rear turn signal lens. Yours does not. Also the moldings are painted body color
on the SS.

The emblem on the dash should be one piece and say Caprice SS.

Retired in 1999.
I own a 1994 SS. It was built there and we took delivery at the plant.
Still own it today. 178,000 mi. NO major work done on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts