Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually do most of my installs and rarely buy kits to do them... But I found an ebay auction for the Detailss kit and picked it up for $25, so I couldn't pass it up. The install went fairly well with minimal issues. I used SEM in the rattle can to color match the dash. I figured i'd go ahead and knock it out because I was installing new carpet and bonnies and had everything out anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Wow, nicely done! I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my car too. TheDelailSS.com kit is the best out there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments. The keywords I used to search on ebay were "impala custom" and "impala install". I'm an ebay junkie and search for impala stuff all day. The deck is a Kenwood Excelon DDX-812. To be honest with you I don't care for the radio. I've had several in dash dvd players and this one has a terrible interface and the quality is not what I remember from excelon. It seems all the brands that were good in the 80's and 90's are crap now...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@96dreamss Those kits would take more work than what their worth. If you can bend metal or have a shop fab up the brackets it's pretty easy. Here's the website with all the pics and info.

http://thedetailss.com/94-96_Impala_Double_Din.html

@memph1z Thanks, it was my first attempt at fiberglassing when I did the 7" in the wheel. I ran all the wires through the column. I'm currently working on re-doing the trunk. Three JL's in the rear deck fiberglassed flush. I'll try to post some pics as it goes. I appreciate all the comments. I've been a member of the forum for years but never started posting til now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn LIL, you should be a detective ; ) The pic on FB was the original fitting before the SEM paint. If you look closely you'll see the color matches better now and I went with a billet shifter. The fiberglass mold for the tv in the wheel had more finishing work to be done. I have the habit of starting a project and getting pulled away to another.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Looks better than mine. You didn't run into problems cutting out the dash and fitting the trim piece? Mine sticks out on the bottom right and I overcut a bit I guess, so there are gaps. cwm1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The trim piece was the only difficult part for me. I tried to cut it close to the edge as possible so I could finish the rest with a dremel. The kenwood is a bulky radio and the depth was a slight issue. I cut a small portion of the duct out and used duct tape for what it was actually made for (for once) to patch it. I just don't care for the radio, i'm going to think about a different route. Since the car is just a weekend driver and I only use my ipod for music I was thinking of flush mounting my ipad into the dash??? I haven't seen it done on a b body yet, so I may give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
local shop said they wanted, about $350 to do a fiberglass trim for a double dim

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i want a double din sooo bad but i aint bout 2 buy the detailss kit, i refuse thats how much the damn double din cost

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Max. I got a DD Kenwood DNX-8120 and like it alot. Got it in my truck right now but gonna put it in my car. I just got the DD kit and notice that the deck didn't fit tight. I see you have a trim on top. Would that trim fit on the inside so u don't see it on the outside?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.