Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must compliment BMR for these control arms. They are of exceptional quality in my opinion, and bolt up without ANY problems, and for $168 shipped, can't beat it. (and yes I got the stock length lowers )
Since it was raining today I didn't get much of a chance to try them out, but the rear end defiantly feels allot stiffer to me, and I would recommend these control arms to anyone.

David

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I did mine it took about 45 minutes or an hour, taking it easy. I already had the car up on stands for some other work so add in some time for that. They're very simple to install but as I recall there were a couple of tools I needed that the instructions didn't mention (like an extension since you get at one side of the top bolts through a hole in the frame).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The install took me roughly hour to an hour and a half. Could have been done quicker, but It took me a while to find some of the necessary tools, like a 1/2" 6" extension...

But if you go with the BMR control arms, and you decided to get the "Extended length" ones, make sure you replace both the upper AND lower at the same time or bad things will happen.

David

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't replace any bushings when I did mine. Sorry. Anyway, I did mine a few months ago. I don't think the tip was posted then.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
impala_1995_ss, what was your tip? Haha, I don't frequent the suspesnion forum very frequently.
But Erik made mention of replacing some bushing's and I assume on the control arms, and no I didn't replace them or any other's, due to having a "rush" job put on the car due to having work the next day, along with the car scheduled to be put in the shop.

David

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please elaborate on " if you get the extended length ones make sure you replace both the upper AND lower at the same time or BAD things will happen" :confused: Like what? :confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you do extended lowers with stock length uppers (or, for some reason, stock length lowers with extended uppers) it'll throw your pinion angle WAAAAY off.

Expect, at minimum, horrible driveshaft vibrations. And longer term, you'll go thru U-joints like they are going outta style

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anyone know if it is possible to have the del a lum bushings from global west pressed into the BMR control arms? if so would it increase performance? inquiring minds want to know.... :cool:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if you could press in the bushings. But even if you could, you'd ONLY want them in the rear side of the arm. Front side of the arm, you need it to be able to move a bit more for rear suspension articulation.

Global West sells lower arms with the Del-a-lums in back, and teflon-lined spherical bushings in front. I am running them, and IMHO they are the best lower arms available (for a "handling" application) for our cars.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't mean to deviate from the BMR rear control arm subject, but has anyone experience or opinions about J&M control arms?
http://www.b-body.net/Technical/Suspension/ControlArms/JM/index.html

I remember when I first installed them on my 96SS the BMR's were just coming on the scene. They weren't proven yet so I went with the J&M's. I have had had no problems with them. However, the driveshaft did produce major vibration problems because of the extended control arms. Eventually, I needed to get the longer MMC Dynotech aluminum driveshaft, along with new tailshaft housing and bushings.Also, the Hunter GSP700 wheel balancing really helped to smooth things out! Good to go now.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The J&Ms are fine, of basically the same construction as the BMRs. The BMRs are cheaper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts