Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much does the Fleetwood Cadillac weigh,it has the same engine as the Impala Correct?

------------------
1994 White 9c1
T/B Bypass,B&M Shift Kit,Monster Tach,
Impala Grille,Home Plate & First base delete,
Resonator delete,high flow mufflers (Brand ???),
275/60/15 all around,Ram Air Intake,
B&M floor shifter

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fleetwoods from 94-96 have LT1's. They are a D-body, which is sort-of a lengthened B-body. The D weighs about 250-300lbs more than a B, so ~4400lbs empty.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the D-Body is also the platform for the Caprice Wagon, so its not much different, just a little bit longer.

------------------

95 9C1 BBB, stock so far underhood, Impala Cloned on the outside.
2000 Z28 M6, also black, also still stock.
1993 454SS, also black, way beyond stock, but still street legal.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, the wagons are on a "modified B" platform.

The biggest difference between the B and D platforms (sedans) is that the D is basically the same except the wheelbase is lengthened by 3 inches.

The B wagons have the SAME wheelbase as the B sedans, but the frame itself is wider in back.

Ed

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...

Straight from the Fleetwood Owners Manual...

Shipping Weight = 4410 lbs
Wheelbase = 121.5"
Length = 224"
Height = 57"
Width = 77"

Also note that 1994-1996 are the only model years that have the LT1 engine. The 94 is OBDI; 95 & 96 are OBDII.

I have found that almost any mod available for the Impala will work on the Fleetwood.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions on the Fleetwood. 7 years and 151000 miles have made me quite familiar with it.

------------------
Bill
GASSIT #18
94 DGGM Ram Air Fleetwood
http://www.stealthhotrod.com

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
95 is NOT OBDII, it is OBDI. The OBDII standards were mandated in 1996 for all carlines.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill awsome sig pic

------------------

My Home Page
[email protected]
Just wait for the mod list I am building

as Sinatra said "I feel sorry for people that don't drink,because when they wake up in the morning that is as good as they will feel all day long"

[This message has been edited by prossound (edited January 17, 2001).]

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill!

I knew it! I knew if I waited long enough, I would find another D-Body nutcase like myself. Grew tired of the miles piling on my '96 BBB, so I picked up a '95 BUW (But-Ugly White) Brougham as my daily driver. Found it for sale on the street in Dayton, OH from a funeral home! The only bad thing I can say about it is the horrible blue interior that makes it harder to get those neat Bonneville buckets (since they only came gray or tan).

Having lots of fun now with putting on all the parts on the Cady leftover from my Impala SS after buying go-fast goodies for it recently. Kinda like a "trickle-down" theory of sorts. I got a tape measure and compared the Chevy to the Cady, having both cars together. Wheelbase on the Cady is 7" longer, but only a 6" longer driveshaft. The bumper-bumper length is about 8" longer.

Outside of desperately needing to swap for disc rear brakes, the only other pressing matter is whether my '95 is OBD-I or -II, since I could test out the HPP+ from my '96 SS only if Cadillac got OBD-II a year earlier than other GM's, which is feasible.

Write back, - us nuts have to stick together. p.s. - love your gray-green color, and what did you replace the crappy cassette stock radio with?

- Bob

------------------
'96 BBB, PPP, SSRI, Xtended Metco, Bilsteins, F-front-(need rear), stealth bolt, Transgo, Moog monster, SLP catbacks, 275/40 Firehawks

Also '95 LT-1 Cady Brougham (daily driver) with all kinds of leftover Impala SS parts on it, - plus another SSRI, Bilsteins,. . . (need disc rears)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to burst your bubble Bob, but the Caddies didn't get OBD2 until 96. The only GM products that I know got OBD2 in 95 were the Corvette and the S-series trucks. So, your Hypertech won't work in the 95.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OBDII did not start until 1996, in any auto makers cars.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sleeper:
OBDII did not start until 1996, in any auto makers cars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AudioSS is correct about OBD2.

------------------

-Dean E. Chandler
'91 & '96 9C1's
Cornelius, Oregon
[email protected]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The US government mandated OBDII standards for the 1996 model year for any manufacturers producing a vehicle for sale in the U.S. that year. The skeptic in me says that no automaker went to OBDII before they had to, especially knowing how they do everything else. They don't spend money when they don't have to. BUT, 95 Corvette's DO have 3 O2 sensors, and I'll check my 95 (S) Blazer later. Anything is possible, so maybe they complied a year early on those models.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK OK,

I know when I've been beat. YES, it was 1996 when the OBDII appeared for the first time in the Fleetwood. I would have bet just about anything, but upon checking my books I have to agree... My sincerest apologies for the mis-information.

Bob,

The radio solution that I came up with was the JVC KW-XC770. It is a double din unit that fits almost perfectly in the opening left by the original unit. Now every book or dealer will tell you that the Caddy is NOT a double din size, and actually it is BIGGER that double din, so maybe they are right, BUT a double din unit WILL fit. Also note that on the FW, the receiver is in the trunk next to the antenna. You will have to plug in the standard GM adapter there and run speaker wire to the head unit unless you are running amps. There is a nice insulated channel under the carpet between the seats and the passenger doors.

I have updated my website to show before and after pictures of the stereo. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

------------------
Bill
GASSIT #18
SStealth 94 Ram Air Fleetwood

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bill,

And thanks to the rest of you guys for taking it easy on him with the correction. I almost had a freebee there if my '96 programmer could'a switched between the two cars. I'll go ahead and find someone willing to part with their used '95 style HPP+. It has the parameters to cover all of the current and future mods I intend for the Imp, as well as the Cady. And, Hypertech's service has been good, too.

Your WS is slick and well-organized! You've made it real easy for me to steal all your best ideas and take advantage of the research you put into your upgrades. Just joking. The JVC is great-looking. It's interesting what you mentioned about the "double-din". I was at a Best Buy, and heard the same thing from a youngster looking in the app book. Anyone can just look at the radio in our Cadys and tell a double-din will fit. Thanks for the confirmation. I noticed "Fake SS" has a neat WS too, - his shows an incredible (spelled "E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E) TFT display unit from Eclipse. The only thing I've done a little different than your selections so far is the SSRI that I installed on both cars recently. Quality parts and straight-forward install. I now have a used SLP twin cone set-up available for someone looking for a "first-base delete". It's easy to tell the additive difference that the HPP+, Transgo kit, and SLP cat-backs have made on the Imp, compared to the relative baseline stocker Cady, even with its 3.56 gears.

A question, - With the healthy miles you put on your rig, I'd like to hear your experience and recommendations regarding that Bosch traction control. Is that some crazy setup or what? When enabled, it has kept me out of the trees and ditches on more than one occassion, but it won't let you hole-shot, power-slide, push-n-grab, . . . - absolutely none of the fun stuff! The handy defeat switch in the glove box gives you the ability to get back into some serious trouble with the heavy monster, but you're left with an OPEN rear-end, which is totally unacceptable!

I'm not sure if the pre-'96's had the defeat button, but I'd like to get your thoughts on the possiblity of adding a posi to the equation without throwing the PCM or anti-lock system into a heart attack.

Finally, (for today), did you do the disc rear conversion? With the Imp as an immediate comparison, it's sorrowful how badly the Cady doesn't stop. I saw another post on the forum that hit it right on the head, - "All the power in the world is not important if you can't stop."

- Bob

------------------
'96 BBB, HPP+, SSRI, Xtended Metco, Bilsteins, F-front/(need a rear), stealth bolt, Transgo, Moog monster, the "missing" body bushings, SLP catbacks, 275/40 Firehawks

Also '95 LT-1 Cady Fleetwood Brougham (daily driver) with all kinds of leftover Impala SS parts on it, - plus another SSRI, Bilsteins,. . . (need disc rears)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob,

Traction Control... First of all, I'm with you! that is some crazy engineering there... when that gas pedal comes back up it doesn't matter how lead footed you are... you slow down. I have had the biggest fun using it in the snow and during torential downpours. You can drive in any weather condition without a feeling of impending doom. On the dragstrip, I always disable the system and if the track is in good condition, there is never a hook up problem. I have put the 255's on so there is a little bit more rubber on the road. On the street you have to "roll" into the throttle or it will break loose... practice, practice, practice.

The solution to the open rear is the Powertrax No-Slip unit. The part number for the Fleetwood is 785-3005 available from Jegs and Summit Racing. It installs in the rear without harming any adjustments at all. As for the gears, pick anything you want... The Fleetwood has a 4 channel ABS system as opposed to the Imapala 3 channel setup. The impala has the ABS reluctor inside the rear end housing where the Fleetwood has a reluctor on all 4 wheels. As long as the wheels are spinning at the same speed, the computer is OK. There is no calculation being made at the rear end.

Disk Brakes... I have not changed these yet. What I have done is put the Z rated pads/shoes on. They require a little more effort but they will damn sure stop the car. I use mine for towing and have never had a fade problem, even in the mountains.

Hope this helps,

Bill

------------------
Bill
GASSIT #18
SStealth 94 Ram Air Fleetwood

1 - 16 of 16 Posts