Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
That's very vague...screwing up how? People here are gonna want specifics.

My first thought is to check all the connections.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is making my computer read wrong because the oil is covering the prongs makes my 96ss run like **** i pull the maf off and clean the prongs then it is fine for a few weeks i already changed the filter still doing the same thing

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I seriously doubt your K&N filter is doing this. I've run them for years and years on my Impy, Cadillac, pick-up, etc., etc.

Now, if you service the filter yourself, and you put enough oil on it to lay Troy P.'s hair down, you may have a problem.:p It just takes a little oil on each pleat.

Also, make sure you haven't connected you MAF harness backwards. It can happen.:D

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
If you're fouling the MAF with oil, and it's not coming from the K&N filter, you have a problem that may not be fixable.:)

You also might have a bad check valve on the Opti harness, that could push oil up into the elbow.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you're fouling the MAF with oil, and it's not coming from the K&N filter, you have a problem that may not be fixable.:)

You also might have a bad check valve on the Opti harness, that could push oil up into the elbow.
Interesting. I'm NOT running a K&N on my daily, but recently noticed my mileage decreasing. I pulled the MAF and it was oily, as was the air cleaner box and the tube going to the TB. The only thing I could think of was I had recently run a 3M engine cleaner through the intake, and I figured some might have stayed in there. However, that's mostly water and alcohol, so IDK.

Any way to check this check valve? My car just turned 85K on it, and presumably the original plugs, wires and Opti (I'm just guessing, but assuming). Plan is to change all that out ASAP, maybe coil and ignition module too. We'll see...Fundsalow. :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's most likely not your K&N.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Well, another issue I didn't mention is, if you're getting blow-by, worn rings, busted ringlands, etc., you will pull oil into the MAF, and intake manifold, from the breather. I know this from personal experience, and then, it will be re-build time.:p

·
Registered
556 Posts
So then if you run with a filter that is NOT K&N, or a K&N with no oil on it, what happens?

Mike

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Personally, I haven't noticed my car consuming ANY oil whatsoever. I never have to top it off between oil changes, and there is no smoke.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
So then if you run with a filter that is NOT K&N, or a K&N with no oil on it, what happens?

Mike
You get more fine, particulate matter introduced into the oil and rotating assembly. In addition to oiling the filters (and as mentioned, not overdoing it), 2 ankle high cheapo drugstore stockings pulled snug over the filter keeps a lot of funk from getting in w/out impairing intake flow. Or you can spend more money on a fancy condom for it. Leggs work just fine for me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Personally, I haven't noticed my car consuming ANY oil whatsoever. I never have to top it off between oil changes, and there is no smoke.
i think there was 2 vacuum lines, one from the intake down to the opti and one from the opti to the intake tube (elbow). There were 2 check valves, blue and white, I took them off along with the vacuum lines and blew air through them to make sure they worked properly, air one way not the other. Mine were clean and worked. Just good maintenance i guess.

My TB was a little oily on top where that plate comes off, but thats the area the tube comes in from the breather hose off the valve cover so thats expected. Oil on the maf, thats strange.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts