Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a heck of a time with the windshield washer hose that connects to the fitting just out of the cowl & runs up the wiper arm on the passenger side. 1st prob was the fitting itself broke so I've replaced that with a new Delco part. Then I was having a prob with the hose popping off the fitting so I put a small cable tie around the hose where it attaches to that fitting. Still popped off, so I did 2 small cable ties. Still had a prob so I cut off about an inch on the end of the hose then used a larger cable tie and made sure that sucker was in a position that squeezed the hose to the fitting well and made sure that the tie was clamped tight. Well now it's developed a slit just beyond the nozzle, on the bottom side of the hose. Anyone else had an issue with this hose?! Perhaps the hose that runs up the arm needs to be replaced. Any advise for R&Ring that hose which runs behind the 2 large springs on the wiper arm??

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
If you use a similar size hose you can feed it through the same space. Make sure you leave enough slack at the wiper pivot, so that it does not pull on the hose when the wipers are parked/fully extended. The hose should be about 1/2 - 3/4 inches from the arm at the extended position. The nozzles are a little fragile, so try not to put too much pressure on them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had the arm off before and was trying to move the hose through the arm to give me more slack at the pivot point after I had cut the hose a bit, I don't think I was really able to even move the hose because of the pressure the 2 springs under the arm put on it. And it didn't look like taking the springs off would be easy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm having a problem finding the fitting that the OP said he replaced at first. Mine snapped on my 94 and I have tried searching but don't know exactly what I'm searching for and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Its the little fitting between the hose that comes up from the cowl and connects to the hose in the wiper arm. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I know the part your looking for, I broke the one on my RMS. But managed to grab some in a junkyard. But this is all I see in the parts book.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm having a problem finding the fitting that the OP said he replaced at first. Mine snapped on my 94 and I have tried searching but don't know exactly what I'm searching for and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Its the little fitting between the hose that comes up from the cowl and connects to the hose in the wiper arm. Thanks in advance!
I've broken several of these too. Seems like the ones that have been on cars for a while are very fragile. You can try the junkyard, be real carefull removing cause they break real easy (Grab the nozzles too). Also noticed that Mike @ Hamilton Chevrolet has some listed on ebay. You could PM him on the forum here or hit this link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370530966643?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
147 Posts
Aw man I hope those are still available by friday, I might as well grab a new one if I can but I'm broke right now. Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey guys, I got the part in that I ordered from Hamilton Chevy and its not what I was expecting. I have all rubber hoses on my sprayer hoses with just plastic fittings and the hose I got is all plastic and I have no idea where it goes lol. Is the wiper motor and pump and all under the cowl? And if so, is that easily removed? I don't want to try to remove it the wrong way and crack it or something. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Hey guys, I got the part in that I ordered from Hamilton Chevy and its not what I was expecting. I have all rubber hoses on my sprayer hoses with just plastic fittings and the hose I got is all plastic and I have no idea where it goes lol. Is the wiper motor and pump and all under the cowl? And if so, is that easily removed? I don't want to try to remove it the wrong way and crack it or something. Thanks for all the help guys.
The wiper motor (part 23 in diagram above in post #5) is mounted to the firewall near the passenger side valve cover. The pump (part 22) is located on the fluid reservoir and the hoses run out from there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What you got will go under the Plastic Cowl. The diagram that is shown in an earlier post shows everything. To remove the cowl, you will first remove the wipers (this is the hardest part, carefull removing the plastic bolt caps, use WD40 or similar on the nuts holding the wiper arms on), cowl is removed by taking out screws (the two end ones are under a rectangular cover, others are visible), and pulling straight out on the Plastic Plugs. The cowl will then be loose but held on by the Main washer feed hose which is fed underneath and goes to the pump which is on the washer tank. You may want to connect a new washer hose at this time (not necessary) to the old one before you pull it out. This is the hose that goes to the front of the car (washer tank). That way you wont fight to get a new one in the same place. You can use your old plastic tube under the cowl and some glue to hold the new tubing and old together if you want. I pulled a cowl and wiper arms off of a junker and had them repainted and ready to go (get some extra Plastic Plugs too). Practice removing one in a junkyard before you tackle your own and the experience gained will help. If you want to go trhe repaint route, jy parts are cheap. The new stuff goes back alot easier than it came out. Be real careful with the new plastic part that mounts to the passenger side of the cowl! That is the most fragile part. Good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Alright so in doing all that will that fix the issue in the pic? I just want to make sure before I start ripping all of this apart.

You can see the tube that sticks up from the cowl and just ends, there was a little connector there that attached to the passenger side wiper arm.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
If you remove the screws along the front of the cowl, you can access the hose without removing the whole cowl. and wiper arms

Lift the front of the cowl up, and reach under, push the old hose toward the windshield out of the 2 clips (one on each end about 3 inches from the end of the hose), and remove the manifold (the new part you bought) from the hose in the center T going to the pump.

Reattach the hose to the pump. The fittings on the ends only fit one way, so align them and push the hose into the clips under the cowl from the windshield side.

You need the hose to the nozzle for at least the passenger's side. You can get one from a junkyard car with a nozzle. Make sure it is the same size, because some of the cars have shorter wiper arms than others.

To install the hose with nozzle to the wiper arm, attach the nozzle to the arm at the detent, and lay the hose between the springs allowing the hose to exit under the bottom spring at the pivot of the wiper arm, and between the base and lower side of the arm. You can press the hose carefully with a paint mixing stick, and the springs will separate allowing the hose to slip between them. Carefully connect to the manifold you just installed under the cowl.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
PS. It looks like you are missing a number the push connectors that hold the cowl to the body along the windshield. You can get them at the local parts store. They are about an inch and a half long. You should be able to lift the cowl further with them out, so it will be easier to install your new washer manifold.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone have a pic of their cowl that is setup like mine so I can compare? I found a little fitting but now I'm not sure how its supposed to go back on there cuz its been a couple weeks since it happened. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
What fitting did you find? If you post a picture it would help. It is difficult enough to explain things on the forum with pictures, let alone without them.

The hose that is sticking up should go loosely around the bottom of the passenger's side wiper arm and under the arm, up over the bar that holds the springs, behind the springs, and out to the nozzle on the arm. It looks like it is missing about 3/4s of its length. You probably need a replacement hose. The original fitting at the cowl directs the hose toward the front of the car, and up a little. The hose will naturally curve correctly when installed properly in the wiper arm. The nozzle has a small detent on the wiper arm near the base of the bar portion, for location.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just got a little T vacuum hose connector that was the same size but heres a quick question, is the fitting that connects the main hose to the passenger wiper arm supposed to be a straight connector of some sort or should it have an extra outlet like a T to spray from right there? Because now more that I look at it it seems like washer fluid is only supposed to spray from the wiper arms, is that correct? The way it was setup before with the piece that broke was a T connector, and it shot washer fluid onto the windshield from between the wiper arms, is it supposed to be like that or no?

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
The right fitting on the cowl hose is an L with a square locating flange. The only place the water should spray from is the nozzle on the wiper arm. Your old one was a rigged up sprayer. Get the cowl piece, and a new hose for the passenger's wiper arm.

The only T in the hoses is the one in the middle of the cowl hose, and it hooks to the hose from the pump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah it looks like the angled part at the end was snapped off, a hose was just attached to that and goes out of the cowl, and I guess someone just threw on whatever connector they had. It does still work so I'll just try to find a straight fitting to connect them or block off the T connector. I think there is enough tubing cuz it will still touch end to end with some slack. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
It will probably act up again soon, unless you put the right parts on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts