Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Sweden today during race qualifying Kent Eden broke into the nines with a 9.99 @ 222kph More info to follow as the details come in. I'm pretty sure Kent is still running with his MSD opti-spark distributor (which has been giving him some trouble). His car is at 4200lb race weight and he's using an F2 blower.
Karl Ellwein

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Not too shabby. Love them ProChargers! He's gonna give Anders a run for his money.

So, you planning to go see them again soon?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm only going to see Kent if da Stump and Celly go along.
More info from Anders Envall,

9.998 @ 137.94 1/4
6.470 @ 112.56 1/8
1.584 60' and not using transbrake.

Car has a full manual shifting 4L80E (I guess no more "E")
He tried the transbrake on the next run and went 10.7 somethin.

There will be more qual runs tomorrow. Hope it all stays together for more chances at his goal of 9.843

This is at a track called Sundsvall in the Norrland state of Sweden.

kent's motor http://www.ellweinengines.com/jezus2/jezus2.htm

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
psssht old news - I already read about it on Facebook :D

Karl I presume this is the worlds fastest ERE engine?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
psssht old news - I already read about it on Facebook :D

Karl I presume this is the worlds fastest ERE engine?
Correct. It has been that way for a few years now.
I'm amazed actually that any LT1 could hold so much boost without busting a gut.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
He tried the transbrake on the next run and went 10.7 somethin.
I'm now convinced that our cars are just too heavy for a good transbrake launch under full power. It may be possible if the car is tubbed and running 30x16" slicks. I think that the best a heavy small tire car can expect is to set the launch rev limiter low enough that it doesn't blow the tires off, but high enough so that the engine runs more smoothly.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I'm now convinced that our cars are just too heavy for a good transbrake launch under full power. It may be possible if the car is tubbed and running 30x16" slicks. I think that the best a heavy small tire car can expect is to set the launch rev limiter low enough that it doesn't blow the tires off, but high enough so that the engine runs more smoothly.
hmmm i guess ill be one of the few to try the big tire and a tbrake...

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
hmmm i guess ill be one of the few to try the big tire and a tbrake...
Roz was running one on his blower car back in 2001...and there have been many others...try and keep up :D

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
from what I gather from info from Bostic, Kent hit the transbrake for this 1st qual run this morning and ran a 10.0 @ 139mph but and that was backing off the throttle after the 1/8th mile. (he felt it might be too quick for this 10.000 index and so he let of the throttle). The mph looks to me like full throttle. (unless he did a throttle blip and then back back to WOT). Anyway. He's still running 1.58 60' and I don't see the Transbrake improving his 60'.

But you know, I'm armchair crew chiefing Kent and his combo. I bet he'll get better at launching and one day he'll get that 1.4 60' and the 9.80 that he's been shooting for.

I'm actually hoping to run a combo like Kent in my own Black SS one day in the far future.

Kent's F2

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You should use that thing to suck some of the hair off your arms. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Congrats Kent! And Congrats to you too Karl, for having one of your "offspring" perform so admirably :)

On transbrake.... Mikey Harris also tried one with his 4L60E a couple of years ago and found no advantage. Personally, I can't see their merit with a stock style suspension, if the tune and converter stall is already dialed in,.......except on turbo cars to build boost at the line. I don't know what Kent has for a rear suspension; he may pick up some time with the T-brake.

Edit: Doh!, just saw you put him on the ET page, Karl. .....and I see the CA 4-link ;) .........yeah, I bet he uses the T-brake to good advantage eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
....., just saw you put him on the ET page, Karl. .....and I see the CA 4-link ;) .........yeah, I bet he uses the T-brake to good advantage eventually.
Yea in theory that Tbrake should help seeing Kent has the chassis for it, (maybe not the tire though).

For 2 years now Kent has been fine tuning and his only trouble has been getting his 4L80E to shift and also to keep his MSD optispark from falling apart. He fixed the 4L80E this past winter by going manual shift and I hope he has the optispark fixed for more reliability. He needs all the spark he can get with that boost.

The one thing I can claim-to-fame on his combo is getting a cam sensor signal to Kent's FAST so that he can run in sequential mode. I mocked up an opti on a motor and found where to put a slot on the optical disk so that it would give the proper signal to the FAST and then Kent has his tuner machine a disk and somehow it worked....LOL. Others said they have done that but none were willing to share the info. Jan-Akie Norberg is Kents tuner who machined up the disk. (Yes, LSx style ignition would be a better idea than keeping the opti distributor because I think now Kent is limited by his spark system).

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kent only got one run today but it was a nice 10.0 @ 139mph Here is his 9.99 time slip in Swedish language.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a nice photo of Kent launching to a 10.04 this past weekend at my engine web site, www.ellweinengines.com I am somewhat surprised that a stock GM LT1 block can take so much abuse.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
He should not be limited by the spark and has a long way to go before it's a problem. Math says I'm at 17 to 18 to 1 compression on the GM stuff, other than a MSD 6 box, fires it clean even on unleaded gas.

Maybe its more radical valve trains than I run and causes the opti problems I don't see or have. The GM setup will run to a proven 1500HP and work. Maybe even more!!

I'm not posting to be a wise guy, only to help show it's already been done and it works. Hope it helps him and you make it go even faster.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
One last thing that I think is cool on this. I was chicken to try to push a block too far. Looks like he's willing to go on and it will tell us something I don't think anyone knows which is how much is too much on these blocks.

Don't forget to figure in blower drag into the total HP on the block and not just crank HP out. He could also use fuel load to AFR and come up with the same numbers. Looks right now to be 1100 to 1150HP load on the block.

Very nice to see another Impala in the 9's

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
....Don't forget to figure in blower drag into the total HP on the block and not just crank HP out. He could also use fuel load to AFR and come up with the same numbers. Looks right now to be 1100 to 1150HP load on the block.

Very nice to see another Impala in the 9's
Thanks Jeff for the info and comments. I totally forgot about the blower drag from my HP guessing. good points. Especially thanks for the info on the optispark and that is should not be his limiter now. That is good to know actually.

I was chatting with Kent via email recently and he says he did not have spark problems this past weekend but he did have tranny shifting problems. They way he said it was the 1-2 does not shift. I don't know if that means it goes 1 to (attempt 2) directly to 3rd ...thats what I think he means. Well, if he had all of 2nd gear then I think his ET will be a tick quicker but I think the MPH will be almost the same. His 1.5 60' times are what I would like to see move into the 1.4's. :)

Kent said he's going to Petia to race this weekend. Please no rain and please good traction.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts