Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I’m installing a trailer brake controller in my Roadmaster. Can anyone suggest a good place under the dash to get 12V positive that’s only hot when the key is on, or the car running?

I don’t want to go straight to the battery and have to turn it on and off. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have never seen a electric brake installation manual that suggests a switched power supply.

If you lose key power you lose the trailer brakes.

The power should come from the battery to a breaker to the controller. 12ga to reduce voltage loss over the long distance. The auto-resetting breaker is safer that a one time fuse that may blow during normal braking.

Most controller manuals are on the internet if your's is missing.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes perfect sense, although I didn’t think of it. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So anyone know the best place to pass wires through the firewall? I’ve been looking for an hour.

That roady’s tighter than a drum. I’m thinking I’ll need to drill somewhere, unless there’s a place to pick up unswitched 12V in the cabin...?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Orange wires are hot at all times. Try the seat circuit. If you can not find a heavy orange wire, wire up a relay, and run a heavy wire to it outside of the body.

·
Registered
209 Posts
x

I have never seen a electric brake installation manual that suggests a switched power supply.

If you lose key power you lose the trailer brakes.

The power should come from the battery to a breaker to the controller. 12ga to reduce voltage loss over the long distance. The auto-resetting breaker is safer that a one time fuse that may blow during normal braking.

Most controller manuals are on the internet if your's is missing.
EVERY PART OF THIS ANSWER IS RIGHt. THIS GUY IS SMART.....I WOULD USE 10 GAUGE WIRE WITH HIGHER THEN LOAD BREAKER

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. I ran 12 gauge wire already, but at this point I’m not sure if I’m going to mount the brake controller anyway.

I just decided to drive my wife’s Dodge 1500. She’s decided to sell it and get a newer truck, so I might just put the controller in whatever truck we end up with. It’s a P3 controller and really won’t get used much in the Roadmaster.

I’m glad I put the hitch in though...

Thanks for your advice though. I’ve really gone through the Roadmaster for this trip, and that’s a plus even though I’ve decided not to take it.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
If you do wind up installing it in the RM, hook main 12v to the AUX battery post at underhold fuse panel. Then to circuit breakers then controller

The controller I bought for the truck came with instructions. User is responsible for source of 12v and mounting location of circuit breakers.

If your trailer has e-brakes, you need a controller

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I already have the inline breaker. I’ll probably install it since I’ve already ran the difficult wires. Then I’ll just get another harness for my wife’s new truck, so I can put it in either vehicle.

Thanks for the reply

1 - 10 of 10 Posts