Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This is a slightly unusual question - I have a friend that for some unknown reason really likes the B/D body "key in ignition" beeper or annunciator and wants to port it back to an older car. There are several potential junkyard donors it could be harvested from. Is this a separately removable part or does it require the late cars' computers to work?

For that matter, where *is* the thing? And what does GM actually call it? Thanks.

Registered
My first guess is going to be that GM refers to it as a "chime", seems I've seen that word in the past when referencing things like that, and most of my experience would be with GM. My second guess is that it's going to be under the dash somewhere, driver side and is probably just wired into a circuit that closes while the key is in the ignition and any door is opened. Aside from the resistor pellet in the key themselves, the ignition was still pretty simple in these cars compared to modern cars. I highly doubt that there's any involvement from any computers, except maybe the Fleetwood since the CCM in that car has its fingers into everything. I may peruse my shop manual and see if I can find any more detailed info on where it is.

EDIT: I found some relevant info, give me a few minutes to upload some pics for you.

Registered
I found the description of the system, and instructions for removing/installing it and the location-ish of the unit. It seems the system uses one single alarm system for key in ignition with door open, turn signal on warning, fasten seat-belt warning, and headlight on warning. Haven't found the relevant wiring diagram(s) yet, but I'll keep flipping through the book, if I find them, I'll add them.

Attachments

Registered
I found them, just working on resizing them so the forum will let me upload them. Grabbed all the wiring diagrams, another page of descriptive info, and a page with a pin-out for the connector or harness. Only thing I didn't grab were all the flowcharts for troubleshooting and diagnosing the system. Also, did you know there's an option for a catalytic converter temperature alarm? It was for Japan export only, no clue if any were ever actually equipped with it and sent there though. But it is a part of this system if equipped. I learn something new everyday.

Registered
And just FYI, this is from a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood manual. So the info may not translate 100% to the b-body cars, since as many of us know, the Fleetwood's are weird and often overly complicated in terms of how they were wired up and communicate with the onboard computers.

Registered
The chime module is the green box on the very inconvenient convenience center, beside the steering column, under the dash.

Registered
I finally got power, and cell service about 3:30 on Sat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
The chime module is the green box on the very inconvenient convenience center, beside the steering column, under the dash.
Yes, I found it when I went to the junkyard today. However, it wasn't green on the 96 donor. I had to check the part number online, but it matched.

It was, indeed, an inconvenience center, way back under the dash. Fortunately someone had already destroyed the knee panel and kick panel area. :p

Thanks for the info, it was helpful.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For those perusing the archives later with a similar idea (god knows why...), here's the way to wire this up, in part. The pins are labeled in the connector on the end of the chime module.

Pin 2: +12V constant
Pin 8: Ground
Pin 12: +12V switched ignition - i.e., powered when car is on, not powered when car is off. Disables pins 4 and 7 when +12V is applied.
Pin 7: When connected to ground, makes the "you left the key in the ignition" noise if there's no power to pin 12.
Pin 4: When you connect it to +12V, makes the "you left the lights on" noise if there's no power to pin 12.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts