Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally installed an aftermarket keyless entry to replace the dead OEM unit. Not fun! My aftermarket unit required several relays to operate properly (not unusual), but the wiring was beyond my comprehension. I finally contacted a friend who used to work at an autosound place, and he hooked it up for me, albeit after much head-scratching. The problem is the 'progressive unlock' for the driver's door; it is wired somewhat oddly. However, my installer friend has recently installed another aftermarket system which he says was a snap to install. He got his from www.partsexpress.com, which is a big electrical/audio/etc website. I've ordered lots of stuff from them and gotten great service and prices. Be warned, you should not attempt this install unless you are intimately familiar with auto electics, and better still have the factory service manual (and the supplement; some of the wiring to the keyless module is different in later VINs.) I still cannot LOCK the driver's door with the remote, it has to be locked manually, which is not usually a big deal since you're usually getting out from there anyway. All in all I wish had done more research, especially talking with my installer friend BEFORE I bought anything. Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully someone will learn from my mistake(s)... c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, finally got everything working the way it should. If I had just sat down and duplicated the relays inside the OEM module, it would have been pretty quick. Anyway, everything works great now, including progressive unlock, domelight supervision (stays on 30 sec after unlock) and a blinky LED. I mounted the LED in the C pillar facing back, so when you walk up it's pretty obvious. Hopefully it'll make folks think I have an alarm system. Which I could add fairly easily at this point. He said, optimistically. Anyway, everything worked out fine in the end. Now on to the amp... I'm also considering moving the battery to the back. Anybody ever done that?

Happy Cruising!

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought all Olds CCs had keyless entry. Mine has but i don´t know if it works because the small battery in the key is empty and i can not open the housing because the little screw is rusty.

Here is what i´ve found about Battry relocation:

topic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knaagi,

Yeah, my OEM keyless died. Replaced batteries in keychain modules, ran all the diagnostics on the reciever module. Dead dead dead; it would never cycle the locks or anything, and I checked all the power and ground leads to the module. Oh well. What I SHOULD have done is left the old one in place though; it has some internal relays that I ended up having to duplicate when I installed the new unit. All works well now, though. I finally got the covers all buttoned up and it's invisible.

If the little screw in the keychain dealy is rusted up, try popping the housing apart. You might break it, but replacement keychain thingys are easy to get. My guess, however, is the receiver module is dead also. This seems to be a weak spot. But to be fair, mine WAS over ten years old.

Thanks for the link to the battery relocation. I'm thinking Optima battery AND Moroso sealed/vented battery box; I want to eliminate any possibility of creating a bomb in the back of my wagon. My Miata has the battery in the trunk also (OEM), with vent tubes, but it's behind the trunk 'firewall'.

Happy Motoring!

c.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.