Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help finding a shop in or around Killeen, TX to do bodywork and paint my SS. The few shops that I've been to have quoted me prices around $3K. My car has no rust and needs very little bodywork before painting. I didn't even pay that much for the bodywork on my 83 Cutlass, and it was completely rusted out. I just want it completely stripped (to the metal) and repainted the black again. You can see recent pics of it here on the last few pages: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2625971

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably just take my car back to GA to get painted. I got quotes for $1200-1800 back home for bodywork and any paint I want, except Outrageous.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why Do You Want To Strip It To The Metal? Is It The Original Paint? Joecrush Ss Is Clean Even If He Has "vent Ports And Cd Player!!!" Lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why Do You Want To Strip It To The Metal? Is It The Original Paint? Joecrush Ss Is Clean Even If He Has "vent Ports And Cd Player!!!" Lol
Are you in Copperas Cove? If so, could you meet me somewhere so you can see how ****ty my paint looks? I wanna start from scratch with a straight body. I think my car's been painted over way too many times already.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
.........I just want it completely stripped (to the metal) and repainted the black again.......
Well......that's not necessary at all.

What most would do is sand it down into the black base coat (removing the ratty/clouded clear coat and a very small amount of the base), and then putting a layer or two of black and then three layers of clear.

Then the clear gets a good buffing to smooth the surface out ;) .

But there's no value added to removing ALL the base coat and ALL the primer.

KW

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
were gettin our "INC" togither this Sunday if you wanna check out the rides....QP95SS is buyin lunch for everybody...:D
Give me a time and place and I'll be there.

Well......that's not necessary at all.

What most would do is sand it down into the black base coat (removing the ratty/clouded clear coat and a very small amount of the base), and then putting a layer or two of black and then three layers of clear.

Then the clear gets a good buffing to smooth the surface out ;) .

But there's no value added to removing ALL the base coat and ALL the primer.

KW
I think that has been done all 7 times that I've had this car painted. It looks like **** to me and it all needs to come off. I'm not trying to add value to the car, I just want a nice paint job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts