Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought or know about this probable Chicom coolant resevoir?

Any good besides the new appearance?

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I don't own one, and doubt anyone else does - yet. But;
Positives
30,000+ sales in 4 years and 99.7%pos
Listing shows vendor at least knows correct applications
Cheap, for being new. Basically a cheap $10/mo. experiment during warranty anyway
Includes "a" cap of some sort
You can pay by cc, so at least a glimmer of right to protest problems, but your blood pressure will pay dearly

Negatives
Appears absolutely no means of "contact" except through ebay
TOS appear loaded for zero relief with correcting ANY problems
Reviews show identical broken record of non-response for every problem. Basically, "Contact us; we dare you." lol
I could go on

I bought a repop tank for about the same $$ about 8 years back (plus a washer tank) for a MCSS and they appeared made to oem spec/material. But they were from a reputable US supplier. If your car's a driver I'd just go the JY route. If it's a show queen then maybe goferit just keep the old one for backup.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Unsure why anyone would buy a repop tank on purpose when GM is still making and offering them? Maybe someone can buy it and cut it open to see if it has the internal baffles and such. I know there is pictures of a Genuine GM tank that Jimpala cut open to show the insides somewhere on this forum.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

·
Registered
7,871 Posts

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I don't know Mike. Sounds like a pretty sketchy outfit if you ask me: ::winkie dink::

Hmmmm.JPG

Hey grandpas - , seriously only 2 left. You best jump on this like there's no tomorrow eh. Respectible price to boot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, I just got one of these about 2 weeks ago lol.. was in a pinch about 2 weeks ago so I had no choice but to get the cheaper one you linked off eBay. And 2 weeks ago the OE GM ones were a lot more expensive than they are right now, otherwise I would’ve gone the OE route! .. anyway, had to replace my tank due to a small pinhole crack on the bottom. Ebay one does have baffle inside and does include sensor and 15 psi cap like GM one. Looks just like it. Only thing is, I had a new Delco cap on my old one that won’t thread on properly on the eBay tank but barely. Didn’t want to force it so I used the one it came with and so far so good. Plus my low coolant sensor actually works now! Had to unplug the old one on the tank because it would always say low coolant no matter how hard I smacked it lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh and FYI it ships from Los Angeles, so it only took a day to get to me since I’m from LA

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I had initiated the recent thread on this asking about the differences between the years and what years are compatible for my ride {I can't type the year to represent my car here and now: left-parenthesis, apostrophe, numbers ninety six, right-parenthesis} a ninety-six; {The answer is Ninety-four thru Ninety-Six}.

I was able to pick up a tank locally on the cheap for Seven Dollars & Fifty Cents. It's not horrible inside, the coolant sensor is not leaking fluid, and I've currently got it submerged in a plastic bucket soaked in much diluted purple cleaning fluid.

I'm not going to go all-out on it just yet, with a long flexible brush made for sink garbage disposal cleaning, along with some ice ships just yet.

I'm going to first pull my existing tank, and dry it out, and then apply some new sealant of some sort around the coolant level sensor. Maybe either silicone or epoxy. I'm thinking that a flexible clear silicone may be better than a hard, non-forgiving epoxy to stop the ocassional drip I currently experience.

It's nice to know that you can find something new as a replacement in this day, but I'm going to try a few other tricks before I give up on her.

Unfortunately, I sold the one from my parts car before I left Pennsylvania five years ago.

I dunno WTF is up with not being able to type a numeric character here tonight....this is a new on on me

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried clear silicone and it worked for about a day. If you do go that route, use some high temp silicone because regular silicone wasn’t able to hold up

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
It is over 15 pounds pressure, don't waste your time trying.

About the only thing that might stop it would be rad seal along with all sorts of things in the system you don't want to seal.

Shame to see our cars getting so old that we are cheaping out, not willing to spend a hundred bucks.

Pretty good part considering most went near 25 years

Not a lot of money vs the greif when it calves in a traffic jam on a hot day.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I tried clear silicone and it worked for about a day. If you do go that route, use some high temp silicone because regular silicone wasn’t able to hold up
Thanks, I used Permatex "The Right Stuff" which I've had good luck on water pump bolts, and other coolant bolts.

It is over 15 pounds pressure, don't waste your time trying.
I didn't think about the 15PSI.

About the only thing that might stop it would be rad seal along with all sorts of things in the system you don't want to seal.
Yeah, and I definitely don't want to do something like that for this problem. Well I've never actually used Bars Leak or any type of sealant, and wouldn't unless I was road-tripping, and needed to get home.

Shame to see our cars getting so old that we are cheaping out, not willing to spend a hundred bucks.
I never wrote that I was too cheap to buy a new part, I just thought I'd try spending less before more.

Heck, I got a junkyard dog for $7.50, that cleaned up incredibly well. So if at first the Permatex doesn't work, I'll try the JYD. If that doesn't work, I'll then buy a new one.

Pretty good part considering most went near 25 years

Not a lot of money vs the greif when it calves in a traffic jam on a hot day.
I agree. I just like to at least attempt to repair something before blindly shelling out money for a repair.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Hi, i think they have been on the shelf many years so OEM or knock-off will be hit or miss. Throw the dice as you see fit.

Mine was from DAL or Mike i forget, it leaked from day one.

-ALF out...

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Hi, i think they have been on the shelf many years so OEM or knock-off will be hit or miss. Throw the dice as you see fit.

-ALF out...
Thanks. I have a buddy that used to have a 9C1 back in the early 2000s who recently got back in the game with a '96 Impala. He mentioned that he decided to go with a new reproduction unit that's listing for ~ $65 and hasn't had a problem.

So the knock-off is performing well so far...

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts

-ALF out...
Back some time ago GM had a batch of bad ones that were no good from the manufacturer and they leaked. You possibly may have gotten one of those? Every one I have on the shelf now is current production and we sell about 1 a week so they do not sit here for very long at all. They are not old when we sell them.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Not sure about those but I know for sure these are Genuine GM and in stock!

Mike--94MSP9C1
Mike,
Do you have any idea how shipping is calculated? I ask just because $40 is a bit high.

I'm not blaming you for the price, just wanted to ask, because this would drive me to my local dealer because it'll be $20 cheaper all said and done.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Mike,
Do you have any idea how shipping is calculated? I ask just because $40 is a bit high.

I'm not blaming you for the price, just wanted to ask, because this would drive me to my local dealer because it'll be $20 cheaper all said and done.

Thanks!

Shipping is determined by size of the box which is 15x13x11, weight of the box which is 5 pounds and the zipcode that it is going to. Places on the west coast are usually crazy high so we also offer UPS for those people. What is your zipcode?

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Shipping is determined by size of the box which is 15x13x11, weight of the box which is 5 pounds and the zipcode that it is going to. Places on the west coast are usually crazy high so we also offer UPS for those people. What is your zipcode?

Mike--94MSP9C1
I'd use my work address to try and reduce shipping costs if possible, since it's a big business.

Also, FedEx has a hub in the same town, just down the road, so I dunno if that would be a cheaper alternative?

I appreciate your help! I'm tipping a whiskey & coke to ya now brother!

-Steve

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
I'd use my work address to try and reduce shipping costs if possible, since it's a big business.

Also, FedEx has a hub in the same town, just down the road, so I dunno if that would be a cheaper alternative?

I appreciate your help! I'm tipping a whiskey & coke to ya now brother!

-Steve
Priority Mail takes 2 days $38.55
UPS Ground takes 3 days $19.56

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts