Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i put my car in the shop, replaced opti, coil, plugs wires thinking that would resolve the issues with my rough idle. car is still idling rough but now, sometimes when you first start it there are 3 or 4 quick knocks before it fully fires. anyone know what this could be? its a bit difficult to describe but between the time when the engine starts to turn over and its fully running, the knocks occur. i'm also getting the check engine light that starts to flash when acceleration occurs. anyone run into this?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Flashing CEL = misfire. Check to make sure you have all the wires fully seated and in the right order on the Opti.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
So you sunk $$$$ into it without finding out what the problem is in the first place....that used to work ...decade's ago..lol Opti harness, ICM, ...playing the guessing game with these things can get expensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll check the wires again....considering that it was a misfire to begin with, replaced all of the ignition components.

thx for the smartass comments...talking sh it on a forum is real tough.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
So you sunk $$$$ into it without finding out what the problem is in the first place....that used to work ...decade's ago..lol Opti harness, ICM, ...playing the guessing game with these things can get expensive.
He DEF aint talking ****...might want to reconsider that statement. He is just stating that what you did was pretty damn bass ackwards and rather stupid.
Gregg-o is one of the better guys around here to help someone out

Having such soft skin on the interweb is pretty lame... GL with your car

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You have created a long line defenders for the person who tries to help you but instead gets your insult. Why do you think they put a CEL system on your car?? Use it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
, sometimes when you first start it there are 3 or 4 quick knocks before it fully fires.
Pretty sure mine was a worn rod bearing. Was noisy at cold turnover for quite a while before it failed.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
1. so i put my car in the shop, replaced opti, coil, plugs wires thinking that would resolve the issues with my rough idle.
2. car is still idling rough but now,
3. sometimes when you first start it there are 3 or 4 quick knocks before it fully fires. anyone know what this could be? its a bit difficult to describe but between the time when the engine starts to turn over and its fully running, the knocks occur.
4. i'm also getting the check engine light that starts to flash when acceleration occurs. anyone run into this?
Long-, my definition of talking s*** is maybe different than yours. Mine is more along the lines of, "Garbage In, Garbage Out". I passed on replying earlier because your post was not worded even close to clear enough to figure out the 5 Ws without me spending more time re-reading than you spent typing. The first 3 replies offered dam fine succinct advice for the input you provided. I guess everybody's wondering why it's 4 days after your 1st post and we still don't know what your CEL says. If your No.4 above occurred before No.1, then bass ackwards is a perfect description of your situation. If your initial problems WEREN'T throwing a code then I'm shocked your garage didn't tell you what their diagnostic machine was reporting.

Oh, BTW, unless you're out of the country and can't do such straightforward maint. work yourself I think most guys would consider taking your car to a shop only injects yet another variable for potential problems per cletus'- reply. Whatever you do be sure to check absolutely everything they touched on top of everything else.

Good luck, we all know how frustrating chronic phantom problems can be - especially after throwing money at it without success.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts