137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this spindle/steering knuckle junk?
?

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,657 Posts
Why would it be junk? Am I missing something?

The knuckle is generally not a wear part unless it gets damaged.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would it be junk? Am I missing something?

The knuckle is generally not a wear part unless it gets damaged.
The (albeit small) gap between the upper ball joint shank & edge of tapered hole at the top of the knuckle. Doesn't this have to be a tight fit over the entire taper?

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,657 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. Is there any play in it with the stud fully inserted?

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see anything wrong with it. Is there any play in it with the stud fully inserted?

Hopefully someone else can chime in.
[/QUOT
There's no play. The ball joint just seams to go a bit too deep into the tapered hole.

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
Do you have any Dykem ?
Lots of felt pen works in a pinch.
Coat male and female tapers to get a read on where and how it is contact if you push together and rub a bit.
You say it does not rock at all ?
Cotter pin hole height OK ? ( somewhat difficult to judge if the joint is afternarket as some sit high and require a washer,,,,,,,sometimes🙄)
Any evidence the hole is not round at edge?

Does it make contact with partial torque ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any Dykem ?
Lots of felt pen works in a pinch.
Coat male and female tapers to get a read on where and how it is contact if you push together and rub a bit.
You say it does not rock at all ?
Cotter pin hole height OK ? ( somewhat difficult to judge if the joint is afternarket as some sit high and require a washer,,,,,,,sometimes🙄)
Any evidence the hole is not round at edge?

Does it make contact with partial torque ?
Marker contact looks good. It doesn't rock at all. Edge of shaft where it starts to taper sits about 3/32" below top surface of knuckle. There's about 3/32" of thread length to spare under the nut with it snug. Nut goes from finger tight to 55 lb-ft over about 1/3 of a turn.
Cotter pin hole (ball joint is after market, specifically ProForged):

Ball joint is brand new, previous one (ball & socket worn out) was factory & had the same annular gap. Width of gap looks the same all the way around.

Reactions: 95wagon

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
A dude in NJ had a bunch of NOS Caprice spindles on Ebay for $55 bucks shipped for the last year or so. They must of had hundreds of them. I Bought more sets than Ill ever use. All sold out now!. Chevy Mike parts whatever his name is bought a bunch from the same guy Mark., Reselling them for hundreds more. Even near 30 years later new spindles are out there just buy them wisely at low prices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts