Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got quoted on some Koni's and bilstein's along with eibachs. They recomended bilstein + Eibach setup and the total would be about 500 bucks, The koni's were 80 bucks more, would they be worth it, or would i better off with bilsteins? I dont autocross yet, and really would like less body roll, with improved flatter lane changing ability. All opinions are welcome expecially of owners with either of these setups

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have no experience with Bilsteins, but I know that they are high quality. I installed Koni's on my car, and I love them. See if you can get in touch with perhaps a local club and ride in cars with each particular shock. I'm sure that you will be happy either way you decide to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Wade.

I ended up going with Koni's with my Eibach's because I wanted the ability to adjust the rebound rate.

I love my Koni's but, I haven't heard anything bad about the Bilsteins.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RacerSS

Be aware that shocks alone do not control body roll, but they do control excess motion and RATE of roll. Your quest for flatter lane changes is a function of the spring and sway bar combination primarily.

I recommend that you stick with the Bilsteins if you are not yet--or just starting--racing. If you DO plan to try racing, the earlier (linear) valved shocks, listed for the Impala SS as "sport" in the Bilstein catalog, are the preferred choice. The Koni's do cost a bit more, and while I am not sure of their warranty, the Bilsteins do have a "lifetime" warranty, if that is anything worth considering.

I believe you should get some "seat time" learning about your (and your car's) capabilities and tendencies before you start playing with shock adjustments that you may not find easy to do or discern the results of.

The money would be better spent elsewhere--a helmet, a racing school, etc--until you are ready and decide you need that extra bit of adjustability of the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can definitely vouch for the Koni's. After 2 years of having KYB white shocks up front on my wagon and dealing with massive bouncing etc. I changed to the Koni's, man what a difference, since then I've transferred them to the Impala when I traded the SportWag in and it rides great with them as well. We'll see how they control the ST springs I'm installing soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Koni's also have a lifetime warranty. Summit has Koni's ~$90 each. LAPD had Eibach springs for $230.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.