Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at both the Kumho and Tire Rack websites, the ASX appears to be the better tire between the two as far as wet traction, dry traction, noise and comfort. The only ratings where the ASX lost was the handling (and it just barely squeeked by). Then if you factor in that it is an all season tire (snow rated) and the treadwear rating is almost double that of the 712..... I must be missing something. Then to top it all off, the ASX is 6 pounds lighter. Is the fact that the tire is $5 more the reason more people prefer the 712 over the ASX??

I did search "ASX" and came up with one hit that did not answer my questions.

Thanks,
TOM B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am going with the ASX in a couple of weeks (pesky medical bills are putting a dent in my fun money this month). It also seems a no-brainer to me. So, what, if anything, am I missing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take those ratings with a HUGE grain of salt, as they are pretty meaningless.

In the real world, the 712 will outhandle the ASX by a decent margin in anything except snow or ice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the 275/40/17's ASX's on the DCM before the Vegas event last summer and put them on the DGGM after I got hit. They have surpassed my expectations! I have about 12k on them and they are holding up VERY well. They have seen rain, snow (not much!) and dry/hot pavement and have been outstanding in all areas. Highly recommended from my point of view. I will be putting another set on the DCM when it gets out of the shop...

Just my .02 cents.

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Note I am not saying the ASX is a bad tire. It isn't.

Just that the 712 will outstick it on anything except snow/ice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SSuspect,
How do you use your car?? Do you race or drive it in a sprited manner?? I am looking for grip, but since I know that the only way my car will improve at the strip is to buy a set of drag only tires, my street tires will be more purchased towards milage. What really makes me question the ASX over the 712 is the wear rating. 280 vs 420 seems like an aweful lot.

Ed, how does the 712 compare to the RE730's I have on the car now??

Thanks,
TOM B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SSQUATCH - In general, I just "drive" the car. When I had them on the DCM, the suspension was "done" and I pushed them a lot harder than I do in the DGGM. Some "fun" mountain roads last summer (A.K.A. pushing it and pitching it around some corners), fast on-ramps, etc... I also raced (1/4 mi) in Vegas and they stuck very well (limited mods - same as DGGM). Now, it is just "spirited" driving around town as the car is my daily driver. I am in Colorado Springs, so the "all season" part of the tire was the main deciding factor. The treadwear rating is just a bonus and at 12k miles, the tires are in OUTSTANDING shape.

Ed - Wasn't trying to be contradictory to your post. I do agree that the 712's will outhandle the ASX's. If "sticky-ness" is the main factor, I would definitely use the 712.

If I were to start doing more drag racing, I would most likely get an extra set of wheels and some "sticky's" and use the at the track. But for now, I am content with the ASX's for all-around driving...

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom : your 730s are similar to a little more sticky than the Ecsta 712s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.