Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use the KYB Gas a-Just shocks? After searching, all I can find is info on the standards - Bilstein, Monroe SS, etc. Just wondering what people's experience has been with these shocks. I'm looking for a less expensive alternative for a daily driver that will still deliver nice handling and ride control.

·
Registered
347 Posts
the gas adjust are cheapy shocks. I've got kyb sevre duty monotubes (only a little bit more money), and i'm real happy with them. I've got st springs (lowered 2") and they handle just fine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I put Gas-A-Justs on the rear of my 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. WAY too stiff. I was looking for improved handling but they were shakeing the car to death. I swapped them for GR2's under KYB's warranty, which are fair.

My 96 SS came w/ newish Gas-A-Justs. They were NOT horribly firm, like the Lincolns, but a little firmer than I like. (my town has lots of potholes)! I replaced them w/ Edlebrock IAS , which are my FAVORITE shock. Comfortable ride w/ improved handling.

I have Monroe "Sence-A-Tracks" on my 79 Trans AM. A little soft

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
How cheap are we talking? IIRC the Monroe SS were about 45 each...for new shocks that isn't expensive at all. I'd hate to see what a $15 shock would be like.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Gas a-Just shocks from KYB are about $40 for the front, $35 for the rear, give or take depending on price shopping. ;)

The GR-2 prices are about half as much, but they're twin tube. The Gas a-Just are monotubes, and considered superior handling shocks.

I do agree that the Edelbrock Performer IAS are AWESOME shocks. I've had them on 2 other cars, friends have had them, and we all loved them. However, at about $90 each, they're a little more expensive than I was planning to drop on this daily. I'm looking for the best "bang for the buck" situation. ;)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A friend of mine put the KYB Gas a-Just on the front of his 9C1, and he thought them too stiff. But he also thought I might like them on the Fleetwood since it's a bit heavier of a car.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No other experience with KYB on B/D bodies?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I know it's not really helpful, but I have them on my 72 c-10 and really don't care for them. I dislike them enough that I really wouldn't consider them for any other vehicles as long as there are alternatives, and for the SS, there are. Bilsteins (1104 and 0929) are only $279 at shox.com . The other ones (1516 and 1517) are quite a bit more though, at $344, and may have more characteristics you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:( I was reading a bunch of reviews of them online, in various applications, and most people really liked them. I'm surprised nobody really tried them on these cars. I picked up a front set for free, and figured I pick up the rears since they're like $30 each, and I guess I'll report back on my experience.

Any other feedback is welcome! :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have them on my 9C1 and i like them, i dunno what to say more than that. Id use them again on anything

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have them on my 9C1 and i like them, i dunno what to say more than that. Id use them again on anything
:) Cool...with stock 9C1 springs, SS springs?

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are what I used for several years on my 96 B4U and would still have them on the car but I switched to Comp Eng Drag shocks because I'm just bracket racing it at the moment but I kept them and if I de-mod the car or need to use it again as a daily driver they will definatly go back on. There not IAS Edelbrocks but are a good street shock.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They may not be Edelbrock, but for 1/3 the price I wouldn't expect them to be. Cool, I'm going to go with these to save a few bucks and report back. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
"Anybody use the KYB Gas a-Just shocks? Just wondering what people's experience has been with these shocks. I'm looking for a less expensive alternative for a daily driver that will still deliver nice handling and ride control."

KYB's GR2s are junk, our wagons are far too heavy for them, but the KYB Gas-A-Justs can handle the load and then some.

The first replacement shocks on my 78 wagon in 1980-81 were GAJs and they were a significant improvement.

KYB GAJs were the highest pressure shock available until the Bilstein 1104/0929 became available. At a fraction the price of Bilsteins and Edelbrocks, they are a great shock.

My 96 RMW had Monroe SSs on the front when I purchased it, and originals on the back. After changing the rears over to GAJs have felt no incentive to change the front. If I do, it will be to KYB GAJs.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good info. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I'd follow up, since I've seen KYBs come up in other threads over the past year or so since I first asked.

After 40,000 miles I've decided they suck and I wouldn't do them again. :0

First, I liked them. Then I didn't like them. Then they seemed to settle in and ride OK. For the past 5-10,000 miles it's crazy. It's like trying to tame a bull. The car bounces hard, bottoms out over dips, rebound sucks, and heaven forbid you hit a rough patch of road because the wheels hop and the car will go where it wants.

* NOTE: This is with Hotchkis springs. Your results may vary with stock springs. *

I figured it was worth a try at the price (free fronts, cheap rears), but I can't wait to get them out of the car. I'm going to try the Monroes. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts