Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone let me know any good or bad things about these KYB shocks? Im really thinking about buying some for my 1994 Impala SS. Do they tend to sit higher or just right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The general feeling is that they're crap. I had them on my car for a while and would have to agree with that assesment. The KYBs degraded pretty quick, I think our cars are just too heavy for them. After about a year they were pretty worn out.

KYB worked great on my bikes years ago, and I had a set for my 280Z that was OK too.

Huge difference when I switched to Bilstein. If it was me, I'd go with the Bilstein. They've been on there about 4 years now, no complaints.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KYB Gas A Justs have been stellar performers for me on a series of B-body wagons since 1978.

I've never needed to take advantage of the lifetime warranty on GAJs because they have never lost oil or gas or diminished in function.

The low end KYBs are often referred to as gas shocks too but they are not much better than low end Monroes. In the same way that many people swear by Monroe SS others swear by GAJs.

The Bilsteins are a great shock, but KYB GAJs at Summit for $30 apiece are great value at about a 1/3 of the delivered price on Bilsteins.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You asked about ride height.

They should sit correctly, they are under 290# of pressure and that should not overcome your springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, some good input. Thank you all for your help. I think I am going to give the a try. Hopefully it wont come back to bite me in the butt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're on my 91 Roady Wagon and the car drives like a dream. Soaks up every pothole, their not firm, but very controlled. Ride is super supple on the highway with stock springs.

On my ImpSS, no way. I spent to get the Bilsteins and you cant imagine the difference. If you want great control and a much stiffer ride, thats the way to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know there expensive ,but i highly recommend the Edelbrock ias shocks ,very nice dual purpose shock ,nice ride when crusing and really cuts down on the body lean in the corners ,i was amazed when i installed my 17 inch wheels and tires at how they rode just like the car did with 15 inch wheels and tires, plus there lifetime warrentied for everything except bending the shafts. and thats understandable. had mine over 6,000 miles and no probs at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.