Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 came with an L03 and has the stock exhaust. I've dropped in an L05, because I liked that idea better than trying to rebuild the L03 into something better. Based on what I've heard, the stock exhaust wasn't all that good and was upgraded for 92. Anybody got ideas on what sort of exhaust is best for these cars? I'd rather not make the frame changes necessary for dual exhaust (even though I love the exhaust system on my 94!). Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jay,
The best thing to do is upgreade to the '92/'93 LO5 exhaust. it's a single system consisting of a bigger Y-pipe, larger opening & exiting cat (if you decide to use one) and all the rest back to the tail pipe. Whatever muffler and if you use a resonator is your choice - I have the system on my '91 LO5 with a Flowmaster & no res. and it sounds great w/o being too loud. I know Walker makes the pieces because that's what's on my car. Just make sure the Y-pipe is for the '92/'93 LO5 (2.5") as the '91 LO5 pipe is 2-2 1/4")

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the parts I need are Walker catalog parts? I'll do some checking on the web this evening. Thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This reply os for Jaybo. I also have a 91 with a L03. I want to put in a L05, but am worried about the ECM. Is the computer and harnes the same for the 350 and 305. What mods did you have to do. Thanks.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, CharlieSS. When I ordered the new engine, I asked the GM parts guy what all I'd need for the swap. With the engine, I got a new chip (#16160232) and the proper injectors (#17112412) and that was it. Got all that from Jim Pace, who were very helpful and tolerant.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A question for Jaybo too.

I also have a 91 with a worn L03. The gears are now 3.42. I am also thinking of swapping to a L05.

Did you notice a big difference beetween both engines ? In power, milage.

What kind of engine did you get ? GM goodwrench, used or reconditionned engine.

Thanks

Nelson

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the 5.0 in my '91. I built my own cold air intake and exhaust system. For the exhaust, I used 2.5" tubing, a high flow cat, and a 3 chamber flowmaster muffler, I had the the exhaust run over the rear end, then out the back. It ran good and the noise level was very low, you wouldnt even know that it had an exhaust system on it unless you stomped on it. I recently had to cut off half of the exhaust and dump it in front of the axle since I wanted to lay rail. It is quite a bit louder now. It does sound pretty mean though. If you hit it, you see people walking down the road turn to see what is making all of the noise. It runs just as good in both configurations though. In fact I really couldnt notice a difference by just doing the exhast, but after I put on the air intake and removed the air silencer, it really came alive. And now with the new trans and shift kit, it runs very well. Its not an LT1, but it runs good.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 91civie:
A question for Jaybo too.

I also have a 91 with a worn L03. The gears are now 3.42. I am also thinking of swapping to a L05.

Did you notice a big difference beetween both engines ? In power, milage.

What kind of engine did you get ? GM goodwrench, used or reconditionned engine.

Thanks

Nelson
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To tell you the truth, I haven't driven it much since the new engine went in. The horn buttons died and I couldn't get it inspected. I have fixed that, now, so I'll be getting her inspected real soon. There was an increase in noticed power, though. Not sure how much is the new engine and how much is because it's new.

The engine I used is the drop-in replacement, PN 12513151. Got it new from Jim Pace Pontic. Figured I'd start with that and, when I redo the LT1 in my 94, move the LT1 cam to the 91, since that seems to have worked well for others. :cool:

Haven't swapped rear end gears yet, so, according to the trunk sticker, I still have the 2.73. :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by randode:
I have the 5.0 in my '91. I built my own cold air intake and exhaust system. For the exhaust, I used 2.5" tubing, a high flow cat, and a 3 chamber flowmaster muffler, I had the the exhaust run over the rear end, then out the back. It ran good and the noise level was very low, you wouldnt even know that it had an exhaust system on it unless you stomped on it. I recently had to cut off half of the exhaust and dump it in front of the axle since I wanted to lay rail. It is quite a bit louder now. It does sound pretty mean though. If you hit it, you see people walking down the road turn to see what is making all of the noise. It runs just as good in both configurations though. In fact I really couldnt notice a difference by just doing the exhast, but after I put on the air intake and removed the air silencer, it really came alive. And now with the new trans and shift kit, it runs very well. Its not an LT1, but it runs good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds sweet, randode! I like the "stealth" aspect. The 94 has a good rumble, but I think I'll keep the 91 more "civilized." :D I'd like to hear more about your cold air intake, too. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts