Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gotta question??? would i gain any power by getting vortec heads and a vortec manifold on my caprice 9C1??? Is there anyone on the form what has done anything else to their L05's? Like bored out cylinder heads???? Any help is great thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, the vortec heads are a lot better than the stock L05 heads, but be careful... the b-body L03s & L05s used a non-standard distributor hole in the intake, plus a non-standard distributor. If you get the typical vortec intake you will also have to get a different distributor, or have your new intake machined out to match the distributor hole in the original L05 intake.
This has been discussed before - try the search...HTH,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all the aftermarket vortec intakes are drilled for a "standard" SBC distributor. The reason the b-bodies are different is because the distributor sits back under the cowl and they had to have an oversize hole in the manifold in order to get the thing in. I have heard of guys using a regular SBC distributor in 91-96 B-bodies by sticking it in the manifold before installing the manifold on the motor. All I was saying is that in order to reuse your stock dist. you will have to have the hole in your new intake machined out to match the one in your stock intake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even IF the Vortec heads flow more, how will you 'adapt' them to be reverse flow?

The heads will bolt to an LT1 but if you look at the head gaskets for the two you will quickly see they will NOT work!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick question if I have a 1988 caprice with a 305 is it a L03 or a L05. just some off topic clarrifcation please. thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Sidebinder:
...if I have a 1988 caprice with a 305 is it a L03 or a L05.
It is neither. LO3 and LO5 didn't appear in the Bcars until the 1989 model year.

1988 carburated engine:
262 (v6) = LB4
305 (v8) = LG4 (I think)
350 (v8) = LM1

1989 TBI v8 engines:
305 = LO3 with VIN code E
350 = LO5 with VIN code 7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vortecs are a good upgrade but on a tbi motor you will definitely run into problems. First of all, getting the egr to work correctly is a pain. If you don't need it in your area then great, just have it written out of the chip. But thet brings us to the next great hurdle which is the custom chip. There is no bolt-on premade chip that will allow you to run the vortec heads. You will end up spending a lot of money on chips. Or I guess I should say a lot of tuning/datalogging to get the chip right. And that gets fairly expensive unless you have the right equipment to do the chip burning yourself, or have a close friend with the equipment. The vortec heads are definitely worth it with the right cam and a performance exhaust. It can just be a headache getting it all to work correctly. It is in no way how it used to be back in the day where you could just slap a set of heads and an intake on, tune the carb and be done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
theres that much problems that i could run into???I heard i gotta plumb the egr from the exhaust to the intake, sounds not too hard. Then i was told that if i want to use the stock distibutor i have to bore the slot on the intake, but i think it might be worth it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.