Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Ive checked the search link and found nothing. I Googled it still, not what I'm looking for.:confused:

I found a 96 Caprice with a 4.3 V8. My question is:
What are the stats for the 4.3 liter V8? Any known problems? Is it worth buying one of these cars with this motor? Are the transmissions different from the LT1's? What gear do these cars have w/ the 4.3? Any thing else you can think of about this motor? Thanks for your expertise.

· Registered
442 Posts
hmmm 4.3 v8 ?

not really , 4.3 is a 6 cylinder

· Registered
442 Posts
wow i apologize !

i did not know that cwm4

· Registered
222 Posts
Same externally as an LT1. Good motors, just smaller displacement and less power than the 5.7. Usually will have a 3.23 gear(GU5 option code), and a little lighter duty 4L60E.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
L99 4.3L V8 has 200 hp @ 5200 RPM, 245 lb-ft @ 2400 RPM.

1994 L99's were equipped with either a 2.73:1 or 3.23:1 rear axle.
'95 and '96 got either the 2.93:1 or 3.23:1 axle.

The only real transmission difference is that the L99 4th gear servo is not as stout. This is easily changed.

If you're not looking for performance, the L99 is a good and economical engine. If you want power, LT1 is going to make you happier.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Another thing to consider, is that a majority of the L99 cars came with the tooth pick 7.5" 10 bolt. Lucky an 8.5" 10 bolt from an L99, 9C1, or any LT1 powered B-body will bolt right in, with the LT1 driveshaft. If the L99 car is a nice car, clean, and decent price, I would buy it. You can always pull the L99, and drop a LT1 in. It's as if you were pulling the motor, painting it, and dropping it back in. Everything will bolt right up.

I have been tempted to look for an L99 Caprice as a driver. I have never even driven one. Al of the ones I have are LT1 cars.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Posi was optional on all B-bodies, with the exception of B4U-package Caprices and the Impala SS.
What he forgot to add, was those had them Standard. As did the Roadmaster's with the Towing package.

There are a few Cars around, that started life as an L99 car, that are pretty potent LT1 cars these days.

· Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
631 Posts
I just sold my '94 with the L99. It was a good car,got 26 mpg regularly on the hwy and I averaged 22 combined. I don't live in a large city so I don't know what stop and go mileage would be. The car had pretty decent get up and go and I never had any kind of engine troubles. I had the usual window track troubles,fuel pump,but that was about it. The car had around 280K+ miles on it when I sold it. The one thing that drove me nuts was it didn't have a posi. I heard most '96's came with the posi. I'm looking for another L99 with low mileage myself for a winter car.

· Registered
13 Posts
Yea the L99 is a great engine, you just give up some Horses for some MPG's. Mine's got 154k on it and the nothing's gone wrong with the motor or transmission

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.