Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 95 caprice with what i thot was an Lt1(im a noob) but what turns out to be the L99..i checked the vin # and had the w not the p....is this a chump engine, a wannabe LT1 or is it a decent all around engine?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is a good engine and will serve a comuter well, good milage and trouble free. If you find yourself wanting more power a LT1 is a simple boltin, just did it a few months ago.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thanatos:
i just bought a 95 caprice with what i thot was an Lt1(im a noob) but what turns out to be the L99..i checked the vin # and had the w not the p....is this a chump engine, a wannabe LT1 or is it a decent all around engine?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suffers from all the same maladies that an LT1 suffers from (Optispark, intake oil leaks, exhaust manifold/bolt problem, hard-to-change plug wires...ummm...shall I go on? :D ). Perfectly good engine, unless you like to spin the tires. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Civi with the L99 and I can tell you it's so much weaker then the LT1. I bought an LT1 9C1 car about a year after I got the civi and theres a ton of difference. The L99 feels slow and sluggish and can't even break the tires free. The LT1 on the other hand can spin them on command.

You can always sell that car and pick up a cheap LT1 car or you can bolt up an LT1 into the current car, but it will cost some $$$ to buy one.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
opps i thought it was brandon not getting the lt1
I feel sorry for you Thanatos. i know how it is i have driven a l99 and a lt1 oh yeah there is a diff

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daywalker:
opps i thought it was brandon not getting the lt1<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brandon is selling his 9C1 LT1 to get an LS1. It won't be in a b-body though. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Idk why people think this engine is a turd? First of all most of the L99 equiped cars came with 2:73 gears and even with them i still think the engine has plenty of power. Yes there are diferences between them but i personaly think there is very little diference. I have never deliberatly tried to break the wheels lose but it has been done not even full thorttle but this would only accur on a turn if i needed the power to get goin. I would love to have an LT1 but i think if you have the time and money the L99 is a decent engine to play with, you can use the same exact intake kits, TB bypass, exhaust(try to keep single), 3:73 rear and so on and the L99 caprice will keep right up and beat stock or very lightly moded Caprice/Impala SS.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ty monkey...this reassures me that im not gonna be "left out" cause i dont have the LT1 like the big boys...if i could get $750 i could have a great runnin LT1 engine from the same gent who sold me the L99 but i am in the dealership now gettin repairs and the bill so far is $1100 so i have no $$ right now for the upgrade... :(
but ty for takin time and sayin u think the L99 is still a decent runnin engine
and btw..i dont ever race/drag or plan to mod much on this car its more of a drive to work kinda thing so i dont NEED an LT1 at all really...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monkeymuscles85:
Idk why people think this engine is a turd? First of all most of the L99 equiped cars came with 2:73 gears and even with them i still think the engine has plenty of power. Yes there are diferences between them but i personaly think there is very little diference. I have never deliberatly tried to break the wheels lose but it has been done not even full thorttle but this would only accur on a turn if i needed the power to get goin. I would love to have an LT1 but i think if you have the time and money the L99 is a decent engine to play with, you can use the same exact intake kits, TB bypass, exhaust(try to keep single), 3:73 rear and so on and the L99 caprice will keep right up and beat stock or very lightly moded Caprice/Impala SS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are way off base with this. I personally own both an L99 car and an LT1 car. The L99 is a dog compared to the LT1. For sure its a great running engine and has never cause me any major problems, but it really lacks the LT1 power. You have to be subjective here and not be biased based on what you do or don't own. The LT1 is way more powerful then the L99, but as far as reliability goes, they're equal.

As far as keeping up with a stock LT1, Nory on this board is spraying NOS with his L99 and he is somewhat close to even with them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flame me all you want "Cmoney" but I have driven an LT1 caprice longer than i have been drivin my L99 and I seriously don't see why you would call the L99 a dog to a LT1, Yeah sure the LT1 does have more punch to it but you have to remember most L99's had 2:73 rears and the LT1's had 3:08's also. If the L99 had a 3:08 rear i bet you say the L99 is a an ok engine when it comes to power. The LT1 only has 60hp gain over the L99 plus the rear gives the LT1 more of the advantage and sure there is a 85 ft. lbs of torque diference but the L99 makes that at a lower RPM than the LT1 so who knows what the real toruqe is at 2400 rpm on a LT1 stock. I didn't mean to offend anyone by what I said but i would never consider the L99 a dog. Stock to stock the L99 is only about a second off in the 1/4 mile and is about a second and a half off in 0-60... yeah thats not great but gears, simple cheap bolt ons, and a good driver the times should be lowered to a stock LT1.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Civi L99 has 2.97
9C1 L99 3.23
civi sedan LT1 has 2.93
Impala and 9C1 LT1 have 3.08

The L99 isn't that bad it has adequate power, I would still have mine if I hadn't broken a couple of EZ-outs trying to remove broken exhaust manifold bolts. I wanted a Lt1 and that problem was just the excuse I needed. And as for spinning the tires I could on occasion, especially after the pcmforless.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey brandon how much for your lt1
a ls1 oh ok i hope it is not a f-body :rolleyes:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanatos: The single mod that would really wake up your car, more than anything else, would be
a 3.73 ring'n'pinion.
Forum members with LT1s say that it transforms the car, and that 3.42 wasn't quite enough. They also say that as long as they cruise at reasonable speeds, the MPG penalty was worth it.

Do that, and some '[email protected]$$ Mods', and you'll be very happy.

Warning: If you swap for an LT1 later, the car will be ready for it. You, however, may not be, especially if you have modded the LT1 or the rest of the car before dropping the LT1 in.
Before my Grl's9C1 w/ LT1, I drove an Intrepid 3.5L with a custom cold air intake and custom 2.25" exhaust system (good for 210 horses and 220 lbft, stock). When I got my hands on my Grl's9C1, I broke the tires loose on the 1st 5 or 6 left turns, and nearly spun twice in the rain - both were close ones, but I recovered. My pulse still quickens upon a downshift to 1st, but I have learned to deal with it. :cool:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daywalker:
Hey brandon how much for your lt1
a ls1 oh ok i hope it is not a f-body :rolleyes:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See my sig! GONE!

I can't afford a 'Vette, and the car I want to buy came with an LS1 stock. I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts