Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like once you start looking for a Caprice, they are closer than you think. Well I now found a 93 Caprice with an LO5 and a 94 with an L99. My question is which one will be a better overall Caprice to have? I really want to be able to tune my own Caprice with a cable and a laptop, but I know that is difficult to do with a 93. Now I really want power and performance, so would the L05 win this one?

Which one would you get?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a in '91 truck and while it got from pint A o point B it wasn't very eventful. I think most 305's suffered from the fact of 1.75" intake valves, whereas a normal 350 had 1.94" ntakes.
I believe that the L-99 is a destroked 305 though I'm not concrete, and torque is what it lacks due to the shorter stroke. So the 305 would get the nod here IMHO, and you can always stuff a 350 in there.........

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That depends. Personally I'd go with l99 in case in the future I wanted to drop the lt1 in it it's a much easier conversion. I have a friend with l99 but never drove with him so I can't really talk power-wise. I think that their specs are really close though. Another thing, most of the time 91-93s have a longer life with less problems, and if there ever IS a problem it's cheap and easy to fix.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
96DCMIMPALASS the L05 is 350. Not lt1 350 lol, but 350 nonetheless.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LO5 gets my nod. better sound when u do the exhaust. i hate the L99 sound.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW, the L05 will most likely have a 3.42 ratio vs. 3.23 for the L99.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by NJ 9C1:
FWIW, the L05 will most likely have a 3.42 ratio vs. 3.23 for the L99.
Which would be better with the engine combo? Also, do both come with 4L60E trans?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It all really depends what you're looking for in the car. The L05 is going to be cheaper to maintain, there are things you can do to up its output (throttle body spacer, exhaust improvements; if you're really serious - Vortec heads, LT1 cam, etc). The L99 you can tune via laptop, the L05 you have to buy a tuned PROM chip.

Personally, I'd make my decision based on which car is better taken care of. Performance wise, the torque and horsepower output is about equal in stock trim. If one seems neglected and 'ragged out', move on, because it'll probably crap out on you.

The '93 (and all '91 to '93 B-cars) has a 700R4 transmission, sometimes referred to as the 4L60. It's a 'dumb' tranny, in that it operates based just on mechanical means. From '94 up, all B-cars got 4L60E trannys, where the PCM has a say in how they operate.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any diagnostic software to check out the for a '93? Is a '93 OBD1?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
look at the car over all. same body. but IMO the 94 has a nicer interior.

I have a L99, i dont have a single complaint.
all other b-bodys i have owend, i dont have a complaint eather.

IMO the ide sound of the L99 is better, it seems to be a quiet, smoother running engine.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I constantly use my autoxray for my '89 car
Yes 1993 is ODBI

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I use my laptop and a AKM cable to diagnose the car on the 93? What software would I use?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by eks:
Can I use my laptop and a AKM cable to diagnose the car on the 93? What software would I use?
WinALDL works like a charm

Then find aldlView 0.1 to have the graphic analyser tool.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On '93 and older, to just pull trouble codes, all you need is a paperclip. That's a handy feature.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for steering me right, Thely. In light of this, outta the box, the 350 gets the nod, need torque to move these 2 ton cars......... :cool:

BTW- I'm really really new- how do ya stick a picture in yer signature?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty much all American cars/trucks from 1995 to the mid to late 80's are OBD-I cars.. OBD-II came into play with the 96 and newer cars/trucks.. 1990/91 was when the OBD-I's became easier to program without having to replace the "chips"..

I had a '91 9c-1 LO-5 Caprice with over 400,000 miles on it and it was still a pretty strong driver.. The L-99 that I currently own has 143,000 miles on it and it is deffinately no disappointment..

Either way you decide to go, you will have a good car on your hands, if it was properly taken care of!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I see that I can have a great car. Anyone know some diagnostic software that I would be able to use on a '93 with an AKM cable, and my laptop? I know of some, but they are only for '94-'95 l99,lt1. I can to be able to know when it in closed/open loop and such.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some pictures of the cars.

94 L99

93 LO5

Which would you want? The L99 has 114,573 miles and the LO5 has 132,686 miles.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts