Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my shop wants to charge me $1600 to install a ppm front end rebuild with bushings, c3fab rear upper and lower control arms, new fuel pump, new heater core, and alignment.
does it seem like alot of money for whats getting done?

·
Registered
657 Posts
take it to George Bates

oh wait....

yeah, seems high

Do the heater core yourself

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah do the heater core yourself. It is alot easier than alot of cars I have done. Fuel pump actually isn't that bad either aslong as there isn't any gas in it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
From Haynes

1) disconnect batt
2) drain coolant
3 remove hoses inside engine compartment
4) Remove trim panel from under dash on passenger side
5) Remove vac lines which would interfere with removal over heater core cover
6)Remove lower instrument panel brace and heater core cover
7) Remove heater core clamp bolt and clamp, Thyen slide out heater core.

This was by far the easiest car i have done.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much for that i think im gonna do the heater core and fuel pump myself. i just hate draining antifreeze, but its better then draining in my car.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
You should give us a breakdown of each segment.

I would think the rear control arms would be pretty easy if you are replacing them with new ones.

The only miserable job is the front end. You could get used uppers and lowers...rebuild them yourself with the 3 in 1 tool kit from Harbor Freight, and swap the parts out, then get the alignment. Your car would only be out of action for a day. Another option is rebuild a used set of arms and have the shop install the rebuilt ones. It would cut the cost a lot. You can usually get the parts for substantially less than the shop charges you, and you end up with the bushing set from Harbor Freight effectively free.

Hussker says the HF bushing set works great. If you do the entire job yourself, you may not need an extensive alignment. The parts do not move the arms much when they are replaced.

I paid $100 just for labor to replace the fuel pump. I have done all my other work myself. I replaced the 250K mi. upper BJs and did not have to do any alignment change.

If you note the steering wheel position, replace one tierod (both ends), bring the wheel back to the same place by adjusting the tierod, then replace the other, following the same proceedure, your toe should be correct. It worked for me (I measured the toe in after I was done).

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Did that quote include parts because it sounds way high. In my area i've had the front end rebuilt and aligned for 250.
I'd check around for a more reasonable price.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i brought a front end rebuild and rear control arms and fuel pump. they bought the heater core and nothing else. ill give a breakup of it when i get the car back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts