Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where could I get one, similar to those that cops have mounted in their cars?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to contact Gene Z (Boilermaker) he built his own.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gamber Johnson makes one along with:

Troy Sheet Metal Products
Havis Shields
Kodiak Mobile
L&E Mobile Computers
Stewart Products

Do a search in google---they will show up...

Or do a search and look at the Tacnet from Visteon.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some pics.
Starting at the left of the base:
one 1/2" x 2" nipple
one 1-2", 45 degree elbow
one 1/2" x 10" nipple
one 1/2", 45 degree elbow
one 1/2" close nipple
one 1/2" tee
one 1/2" close nipple
one 1/2" 90 degree elbow
one 1/2" x 10" nipple

Back at the top of the cross:
one 1/2" close nipple
one 1/2" 90 degree elbow
one 1/2" x 6" nipple
one 1/2" 90 degree elbow
one 1/2" x 3" nipple
one 1/2" base, screwed

The top is made from 12" shelving with a 2" x 1" trim piece for a lip. Sanded and polyurethaned it. My son's die'n to get his hands on this to do some of his art work on it. You'll notice I mounted the base a lil off center on the top to move the top over my passenger seat and away from the dash to allow me to twist the top a lil when necessary to reduce glare. Glare is still a problem so when I get around to it I'll buy some foam poster board, cut it to make a sun shade and use Velcro to attach it to the laptop screen when necessary. I bought a couple Velcro straps to hold the laptop in place on the top. This works well. If I'm running on REALLY rough roads I use a lil piece of metal with a hook on one end to go over the top of the screen and screw it to the back edge of the top to keep the screen hinge from bouncing too much.

This two leg setup requires that I move the seat forward to brace the front leg a lil but I don't like this too much. So I'm gonna add a third leg by removing the front 10" nipple and replace it with a 1/2" close nipple, a 1/2" tee, a 1/2" x 7" nipple (to the floor) then attach a 1/2" x 6" nipple, a 1/2" 90 degree elbow and a 1/2" x 7" nipple with another base to the tee to create a third leg. We all need our third leg, right? \;)

Then I painted the pipe and fittings with clear rust inhibitor and then gray primer. Matches the interior trim color pretty close.

If you screw the parts together pretty tight there is still enough thread space left to allow you to adjust things to your liking without things flopping around on you.

Took the bases for the floor mounts and used my dremel and a burr to remove the threads to make the whole thing VEREY easy to install and remove (10 seconds?). Also drilled and tapped a bolt hole in each base to lock things down. Just screwed the bases down thru the floor board. Checked to be sure I wouldn't hit anything important first!

I got the first idea from here.
http://www.laptopcarmount.com/
Then some chick on ebay got so pissed about a laptop kit some guy was selling for >$50 that was nothing but a set of plans and these pipe fittings she bought, she posted up her own plans and was selling them for $2. Paid her to look at them and it was basically a web page describing what I've done here. I just had to play with the lengths and positioning to get it all to sit where I wanted it. Total cost: $20

And don't make fun of my cup holder mod. It was cheap, easy to remove for shows (if I remember to) and holds my big 20 oz. thermal insulated cup for those long road trips. Excuse all the wires hangin. I just cut the ties loose to rearrange things a lil this evening. The plug in the auxiliary outlet is for my power inverter that sits under the passenger seat to power the laptop, rechargeable battery charger, clients cells phones, etc. I also went by Radio Shack and snagged a lil signal "broadcaster" called an IROCK. It's powered by two AAA batteries (you can buy them with a power cable, too), plugs into my laptop headphone connector and broadcasts to one of 4 stations on my FM radio. This lets me listen to over 1000 MP3's, movies, DVD's, etc. I have on the laptop while running down the highway. I also bought an Earthmate GPS antenna with Delorme mapping software that plugs into the laptop with a USB connector. I paid $129 for mine but you can snag one here for $99 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008WMJ9/102-6310669-4458512

Damn, didn't mean to take ya to school, but that's what I've done to make my loooooong highway business trips more bearable.

Link to more pics in my sig, below.

Gene

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And to think, I was gonna PM you for this info. Thanks Gene. I have been contemplating building something similar for quite a while.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chad, glad I could help. Being a boilermaker and having a few $million in spare parts in the warehouse has it's advantages.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, The "boiler maker " mount is cool !!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me also say thanks Boilermaker. I had been looking for a laptop mount but wasn't (couldn't) pay what the companies wanted for one. I was trying to come up with something for the structure and hadn't thought about galvanized pipe.

Some thoughts of mine...

I am going to try to emulate side clamps of some of the commercial mounts. Do you have any pics of the metal clip that you use when things get rough?

For cosmetics, I was thinking about covering the pipe with some of the larger split loom (electrical wiring covering).

I like the "no-holes" approach of some of the commercial mounts. They seem to use the 2 front seat mount bolts... just not sure what the third point will be.

I need a PDA mount too and have been looking at cell phone holders but none are wide enough... will have to keep looking for a cheap solution.

I need to be able to remove the mount quickly if I have a passenger... with no tools. The other option might be that I could remove the top arm and table top if the remaining structure was not in the way of the passenger.

Any thoughts/comments?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rodger,

Those are some of the features I wanted to try to incorporate. The quick release, bolted to the seat mount with some sort of bracket, etc... I also thought about using wire loom and textured blblack spray paint to get the factory effect.

I was going to weld up a mount plate with a lip on the front and one side, then have the other side slide with a wing nut on the bottom.

More ideas later.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Boilermaker,

How many power point plugs/cig plugs do you have under there? How did you wire/install it?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a triple outlet setup I snagged at Radio Shack. Found an empty hot fuse holder in the driver's side fuse panel and installed an inline fuse.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey gene, i like that setup!
do you remember my buddies green 4runner when you were at our meeting out here, he has you beat on power still, 5 lighter, er i mean 12v dc power outlets, hard wired 1000 watt inverter (4 ac outlets), an 800 watt inverter (2 ac outlets)plugged into one of the dc outlets and a 350 watt inverter (2 ac outlet) plugged into another dc outlet.
dont we all need a place to charge/power a fridge, laptops (3), jump n carry, pda 2 cell phones and lcd projector?
we are still working on a mount for at least one laptop and the pda and gps, the phones already have their places(for now).
now i just need to do it to my car also.
hopefully youll get out this way again, id like ta check yer ride out in person, hmmm, or i need ta get out thataway.
l8r,
neo aka karl

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of these days, Karl. One of these days. Ya just need to go ahead and come over to the ImpalaFest, man.

On the quick disconnect idea, remember, I used a burr and removed the threads from those mounting bases (may get around to welding up sumpin to the seat rails one of these days to eliminate these), drilled/patted a machine screw into each and simply hand tighten the screws to lock her down. In n out in 5 seconds. Gotta be that way cause I carry clients for joy rides, too. :D

Built this stuff out of black sch 40 pipe (CHEAP). Not galvanized. Sanded then painted with grey primer which matched up great to the interior.

Daggum, that's alot of outlets. I just don't need that many. Might as well just carry round a generator! ;)

http://www.laptopcarmount.com/lapmount/index.html
$38.95

Lots of great stuff here and they now have a US office.
http://www.motiontouch.com/products/mobilesolutions/default.asp

Better quit givin up all my lil secrets!
http://www.gnetcanada.com/
Oops! There goes another one.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
of course he also has 1000 piece tool set,gas torch, brazing rods, 2 jacks, 4 jack stands, numerous feet of many diffrent color/gauge wires, and various car and computer parts in the back.
oh, and water, coolant, oil, gear oil, brake fluid, atf, compressed air, sodas and food(junkfood).
a great vehicle to have around when disaster strikes! :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You been lookin in my trunk again?!?!

I just finished packing for another 3 week road trip and I got everything on your list except the gas and rods. ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn gene, does your car ride low like his 4runner?
i May be takin your suggestion, and sellin my 96, to get a 95 with fewer headaches, someone has expressed intrest in my car, and theyd be willin to pay good.
l8r

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by 91wag95ss:
Where could I get one, similar to those that cops have mounted in their cars?
Well I have some for sale that the cops did have in their cars.
:D

Made by Led Co.

Thanks to RMC for reminding me about this thread.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did buy one of these...
FS: Vehicle Laptop/Computer Stand
It is a great starting point for an excellent laptop mount. I figure that I would have spent about that in just buying the pipe to emulate boilermaker's setup.

The biggest problem for me is that my Thinkpad 770 is a monster compared to many of today's laptops and especially the small laptop that these mounts were outfitted for. The modifications took a little time and creativity but were not costly.

I also made a removable cushion for the mount (when the top part of the mount is out of the car) out of some black pipe, a pipe floor mount, some foam, and carpeting. This protects the passenger's leg from being being jabbed by the lower part of the mount.

Before everyone starts screaming for pics, let me explain that I had minor "surgery" on Monday (and got a relapse of the flu after being weakened by the anaesthesia) and I have to help my bro-in-law start re-sding our house tomorrow and we are getting new windows on Monday/Tuesday (so everything has to be moved out in each room) and my wife's family reunion is Sunday. I also plan to use the computer to finish building my cheapie cold air intake system. In other words, if I am not dead or back in the hospital, I hope to be able to get some pics by late next week.

FYI... Forum members should ask for the [extra cost?] laptop lid latch to hold the lid open during hard acceleration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts