Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm glad I decided not to spend $1500+ to go to the show this year. :D I just heard that the road course event was a bust for two classes; race class being one of them. :rolleyes: It seems there were so many breakdowns and no one thought to decrease the lap count by said breaking down classes, that the cars actually built to withstand the repeated laps only got one themselves. I can only imagine how I would have felt after driving 1800 miles, waiting all day and then only get 1 hot lap on the road course.

Rumor has it the show judges were less than proficient (and that's putting it mildly). It seems there was a pristine 96 (by pristine I mean a 3 owner, garaged every day, completely STOCK (all stickers, labels, emblems, etc. intact and it was cleaned for 2 weeks to within an inch of it's life) in the under 50,000-mile Stock Class that lost to a car with a dirty-looking hood liner (underside hood – insulator) 4 missing OE stickers (hoses – fluid reservoirs) and a damper (alternator - water pump - pulleys - engine block) that looked like it had been painted with a can of Krylon. And this car took 1st place?
Kudos to the judges.

Well, good luck tomorrow everyone and just think positive thoughts. I mean, it can't get much worse can it?
Oh wait, I hear there's rain in the forcast...j/k. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gee... how do you really feel? Things must have gone poorly after I left yesterday. There was only a couple of spins, 1 crash, and 1 coolant dump.

And I don't think that you can blame it on the event necessarity, how about the people that broke down?

BTW it sounds like you'll have your chance to miss it again next year.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by CHV_FRK:
BTW it sounds like you'll have your chance to miss it again next year.
And if it's less than a day's drive for you again, I'm sure you will be there. To save $1500 bucks, not have to drive for 6 days for a 1-lapper and keep my blood pressure in check; I'll stick with the local events. :D

[ 06-17-2007, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Kamchief1 ]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bro, I think you could find a closer, better place to road race for $1500 :cool:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Kamchief1:

Rumor has it the show judges were less than proficient (and that's putting it mildly). It seems there was a pristine 96 (by pristine I mean a 3 owner, garaged every day, completely STOCK (all stickers, labels, emblems, etc. intact and it was cleaned for 2 weeks to within an inch of it's life) in the under 50,000-mile Stock Class that lost to a car with a dirty-looking hood liner (underside hood – insulator) 4 missing OE stickers (hoses – fluid reservoirs) and a damper (alternator - water pump - pulleys - engine block) that looked like it had been painted with a can of Krylon. And this car took 1st place?
Kudos to the judges.

Aw, it wasn't really that bad. I came in second in that class, but the guy that beat me really had a nicer car than I did. My car was about as good as I can make it, but I knew I was hosed when I saw the other car. I talked to those people, and that guy has a lift in his garage to clean under that car, they trailered it there in an enclosed trailer, etc. I drove my car there that morning from Kansas City.

I told everyone I was going to protest his "stockness" because his A/C condenser and lines were polished, and he painted under his wheel wells/radiator supports all glossy, but that was really just schtick for the weekend.

I think my car looked pretty good, and I figured I had a good chance at something, but I think he deserved to win. It's all good.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Kamchief1:
I can only imagine how I would have felt after driving 1800 miles, waiting all day and then only get 1 hot lap on the road course.
If you ever plan to attend an ISSCA Nationals event, don't ever expect more than one or two "hot" (timed) laps on the road course. That's the way they have all been and you shouldin't expect otherwise.

There was almost unlimited "practice" laps allowed in the morning. One of my customers from Cali said he thinks he got 30 laps in before he lost an axle seal. He sure wasn't complaining about not getting to run enough!!! :cool:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You sure have an awful lot of negative things to say for someone that wasn't there. Considering your brother stormed out of there in a huff a day early, I know where your "information" is coming from. I wouldn't take Kelly's feedback as gospel on how everyone else felt about it. And Smokin'SS still managed to win the ISSCA chartered club challenge even though one of the team members bailed on the rest of the team in the push drags when he left with Kelly.

Yes, there was plenty of room for improvement, but it was far from the bleak picture that you have painted here. And I am glad that I went and participated. Just an opinion from someone that was actually there.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the record, and I'm not a road course, auto cross or show car kinda guy, I spent all day, from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm at the road course/show car event, braved the heat and had a great time. It was nothing short of spectacular! Heck I got to ride 10 laps with Doc and had offers from other drivers as well. Well planned and executed. If you thought it was hot, imagine how hot it was for those who were actually working and keeping it going. Not a thankless job: THANKS YOU ALL :D I'LL BE BACK!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"There was almost unlimited "practice" laps allowed in the morning. One of my customers from Cali said he thinks he got 30 laps in before he lost an axle seal. He sure wasn't complaining about not getting to run enough!!! "

Yeah, I was VERY surprised at the seat time that was offered in the morning. They even let us do a full-speed double lap from time-to-time too!

Gateway is a VERY well-maintained facility, and I was amazed how well everything went, with it all crammed into 2 days. I never felt rushed at all. And they STILL worked in all of that seat time, and a lengthy parade lap session too! :cool:

I'm counting down the days until next year!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by LeadSSled:
.......Considering your brother stormed out of there in a huff a day early......
And now, the rest of the story.........

KW

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Considering your brother stormed out of there in a huff a day early, I know where your "information" is coming from.
considering there was no 'more' i could do for the team (helping with the show car for 3 weeks and taking a sac fly for mark) the thought of driving my wife in monday @ 3:00am so she could go to work at 8:00am was not even a consideration.

I wouldn't take Kelly's feedback as gospel on how everyone else felt about it.
true, so let's ask tim cole where his issca membership cards are on this monday morning. :rolleyes:

Yes, there was plenty of room for improvement...
new year, same excuse. after 4 years of trying they've had all the chances in the world to fix the 'issues'...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by budjrfan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LeadSSled:
Yes, there was plenty of room for improvement...
new year, same excuse. after 4 years of trying they've had all the chances in the world to fix the 'issues'... </font>[/QUOTE]Kelly, so do YOU propose we fix it? We are in the same venue next year. What would you like to see different? Perhaps run Race and Modified first then Prepped and stock after?. Shorten the "practice" and give everyone 2 "hot timed" laps? Tell US how we can fix it. I'll be more than happy to offer your suggestions to the board on your behalf for 2008.

BTW, you can't blame breakdowns on ISSCA. I heard the track ran smoothly in the morning but the shutdowns slowed things down a bit. Also, the timing equipment (provided by the local SCCA I believe) was having issues. You could only have 2 cars out on the track at once (not sure if you could add 1 or 2 more).

[ 06-18-2007, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Got 'Cupcake' Bearings? ]

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"You could only have 2 cars out on the track at once (not sure if you could add 1 or 2 more)."

Based on what I saw, there were a few instances where the second car caught the first. Putting another car in the mix would just increase the frequency of that happening.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW, everyone got ONE timed lap. The delays were due to multiple breakdowns (first being a STOCK car that had a hose clamp let go, second being a leaking water pump, third and fourth being cars with "off track and sheet metal deforming" issues). $hit happens...deal with it.

The timing equipment, well, sucked. Anything over 2 cars on the clock at any one time and the timing was hosed for ALL of those cars :( (i.e. reruns, which take time). It was not immediately obvious to track management that this was the case (i.e. they'd keep sending out too many cars, and hosing it up) until several of us literally yelled at them to let them know this. That said, due to time differential between cars (i.e. to avoid having anyone "catch" the car in front of them) we were looking at only 3-4 cars on the timer regardless of whatever timing solution we used.

The ideal timer fix is to goto transponders, downside is cost from transponders. It is also VERY difficult to find someone who will rent transponders remotely (i.e. not tied to a single track)...and Gateway themselves do not rent transponders.

Car Show Judging : please, volunteer for it next year. It is a damn difficult and utterly thankless job. And yes, take that as a HUGE FREAKING HINT that the volunteers that are doing it now (the SAME folks that have been doing it year after year after year after year) are a bit beyond the burnout point from lack of new volunteers...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick correction to Noel, the timing equipment used on the Road Course was the ISSCA owned Race America timing equipment. We used this same equipment at Indy, Poconos and Las Vegas. In an attempt to get more cars on course we were trying to run 3-4 cars at a time. The equipment couldn't handle the flow. This left us to 2 cars on course at one time. If you throw in a couple of hiccups where the timer didn't click off, you get a longer day. We had these same issues at the past events. False trips are not uncommon. The biggest challenge was the spillage, breakdown and crash. The clean-up of these events took the most time. We can correct the timing issues by using transponders. This is not an easy solution as Gateway doesn't do much amateur timed racing, so while they have the timing loop, they don't have the transponders themselves. Additionally, we have not found a good service that rents transponders. Everyone is willing to sell, but we haven't found any to rent them. We have spent quite a bit of time looking.

As for the negative comments about the event, I don't think you can talk if you weren't here. Given that I am tired and sunburned, I will say this once and move on from here. If you think putting a Nationals is an easy, painless endeavour, then "walk the walk" baby and put on an event in your area that includes a car show, soundoff, road race, autocross and drag race. I also expect you to do all the scoring, round up all the volunteers, do all the contract negotiations, handle the hotel management when folks are doing their burnouts late at night, order the trophies, prepare the program, organize the vendors, etc. Then, I will be happy to attend and be the "Monday morning" quarterback to tell you everything you did wrong. Everyone that organized this event is an "UNPAID" volunteer that gives their time to try to offer a fun Nationals. If folks didn't have fun, all I can say is I'm sorry, we did the best we could with what we had.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"I told everyone I was going to protest his "stockness" because his A/C condenser and lines were polished, and he painted under his wheel wells/radiator supports all glossy, but that was really just schtick for the weekend.

I think my car looked pretty good, and I figured I had a good chance at something, but I think he deserved to win. It's all good."

You DID have a nice loking car. I JUST made the connection (white dot on wheel trim) between you and the car. I've been beat by trailered cars before, and it does suck, as you end up working about 40 times as hard ON SITE, just to get it back in similar shape to a trailer queen, and if you overlook anything, you're most likely screwed. But just like in your case, my competition deserved to win, based on the cleanliness. Hopefully next year you'll be able to get into town sooner, so you get some quality on-site detailing time in.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh My God. Kamchief1

You have made such a fool of yourself for the silly comments. No matter how you feel, in black and white you have made yourself look and sound so silly.

This event was well received and probably the best event I have ever attended. I have been to probably every Impala SS related event mind you (accept Impalapalouis 2000 and 2002 and most of the Impalafest events).

The road racing day was pure joy. Very well run. So many laps that I just parked my poor tired car and enjoyed watching others. I learned from most of the best racers too. That was a great feature you guys. Please do that again next year.

GRAIL and Gateway and ISSCA rocked in 2007.

Good job guys. (guys means everyone if your from Michigan---guys and girls).

Karl

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
all I have to say is........Damn I wish I was there...!!! :mad:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Frankly, Kevin, I'm personally glad you weren't there. It kept your negative crap where it belongs. Somewhere else.

I've seen it millions of times (saw it this past week) when someone is really pumped with adrenalin to do something (expectations) and then when things don't fit their vision (reality) they don't know how to handle the excess and then let it out in some, usually, immature tantrum (inability to accept reality) which just makes them look stupid.

Get proactive and do something about it. If someone ain't mature enough to accept what life throws at them and make it better, I feel sorry for them (for about one second) because they're probably just gonna go thru life disappointed and mad. What a waste.

As for ISSCA 07, I had a great time even though I was there without my car and suffered the whole weekend in her absence. Can't really describe the feeling of watching my friends play without being able to join in. Bucked it up, spied on all the top cars getting ideas for Black Sunshine's resurrection, met new Impala whacko's and found ways to have a great time with very special friends. It's what you make it.

'08 in St. Louis is gonna be the chit, man!!! 50 years of Impala's and maybe even some really big juice from GM. It'll be historic. Could be life altering.

The people involved in this organization are the kindest, sharing folks I know. I thank all of you for letting me hang out. When my wife asks me what I want for Father's Day, no hesitation.

ISSCA Nats. (with Black Sunshine)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts