Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they come out easy, hard or not with cutting?

85K, Chicago area, year round daily driver.

Any replacement tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob T.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well...it better NOT be a problem, since I just ordered a set of BMR LCAs

Hope the old ones come out easy.... :rolleyes:
Like anything ever does ;)

Later,
Bob T.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,
Start putting a penetrating fluid on them a few days before you remove them. You might want to have an Impact or large breaker bar available, too. ;)

Good luck,
Randy

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced mine about a month ago and I was surprised and pleased at how easy they came out. i didn't even put penetrant on it either. My car came for MI and now has 133k miles on it. You might look into geting a couple new bolts before doing it. I had one that was all pitted on the body of the bolt and I have yet to replace it, but will soon. I put antiseize all over the threads and the body too when putting it back together.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are only doing the lowers and are staying with stock length LCA's the following will help.
1. You don't have to remove the rear wheels.
2. With jack stands under frame lower rear end down on to some blocks under the wheels so the axle can't move forward or back.
3. Do one side at a time.
4. Do the front bolt first, it can be hard to get to depending on your exhaust set up.
5. Remove sway bar.
6. The LCA will just drop out.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob,

I replaced mine with the GP that Bill Harper did with the Global West units.

Put on some WD-40 and let it sit for about a half an hour.

Came off very easy and installed as easy. I'm also in the Chicago area, so I know what you mean about how the salt destroys everything. One thing I will mention is that the sway bar bolts should have some thread lock on them. I know it doesn't call for it, but my exp has been in the front end links, they come loose sometimes. Also, you might consider getting new mounting bolts, nuts and washers for the bar since I found mine pretty beat. It takes I belive a grade 8 bolt...anything less and it will fail.

Eric

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, just a follow up...

The old arms came out much easier than I thought.. :D

And the new BMRs are very nice :cool:

Actually thought something was wrong when I first drove it....but I was just oversteering due to habit :rolleyes:

Tracks much better now...and it seemed to launch better at the track yesterday :D

This was money well spent.

Later,
Bob T.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by spaughman:
I replaced mine about a month ago and I was surprised and pleased at how easy they came out.
I hear ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts