Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to pull a LCA from a 94 Caprice. I already removed everything (spindle, shock, spring, and right pivot bolt) except the left pivot bolt. That's the only thing holding it on the car. I kept hitting it with a small sledge hammer but the damn thing wont budge. I can turn it with a socket, but it won't back out. I guess the rubber bushing is binding. The car is sitting on top of another car (94RMS) so I have limited room to swing the hammer. They will not give me any assistance. Any Ideas

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
I was trying to pull a LCA from a 94 Caprice. I already removed everything (spindle, shock, spring, and right pivot bolt) except the left pivot bolt. That's the only thing holding it on the car. I kept hitting it with a small sledge hammer but the damn thing wont budge. I can turn it with a socket, but it won't back out. I guess the rubber bushing is binding. The car is sitting on top of another car (94RMS) so I have limited room to swing the hammer. They will not give me any assistance. Any Ideas
Try turning the bolt, and hitting it with the hammer at the same time. You may need an accomplice. Try some spray lube too. You could try a gear puller if you can get a grip on the arm or chassis. Another possibility is to insert a prybar under the bolt head, and put pressure on it while tapping the end of the bolt. A prybar with a split end pounded between the frame and head may loosen the bolt all by itself. Have fun.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still couldn't get that bolt out. I finally was able to talk them into helping me out. They tried the impact still couldn't back that bolt out, it just spun. In the end it took about 10 minutes using the torch. Looks like I may need new bushings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.