Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts
I can't believe I just wasted 20 mins. reading all this and really didn't learn a thing.....but the entertainment value was PRICELESS!

Dwayne, are you formulating a response? Are you even planning to respond? I don't understand your silence. It would seem that you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. :confused:

Damn thats it?!! I was expecting more!!

LE2 heads, all well documented on the big Camaro boards.

267 intake and 185 exhaust from some FULLY PORTED heads? Thats it? This is what you guys are always boasting about? WOW! My Edelbrocks that you talked so much crap about are ONLY VALVE POCKET ported and rounded out at the intake mating surface and dont even have a runner port and they flow 267 and 185. Dont believe me? Look it up because its fully documented tested and proven! WOW!! Well we all know what they say...Men Lie...Women Lie...BUT THE NUMBERS DONT!!!

267 intake and 185 exhaust from some FULLY PORTED heads...............THE NUMBERS DONT!!!
While head flow numbers are an important factor in generating power, they are not the only factor.

Properly ported heads flowing those numbers can make great power ;) .......or......they can make horrible power :( .

It depends on the ENTIRETY of the work.

I can't believe I just wasted 20 mins. reading all this and really didn't learn a thing.....but the entertainment value was PRICELESS!
Careful now!!!!!

Or gary (the great educator) will be calling you a 'Forum Idiot' cwm2 !

KW

Not really. I think when BK and Paul built that engine, they took everything into account. I think it makes alot of power and perhaps contrary to what many here believe, once you have an in-the-ballpart-camshaft that works in your set-up, there isn't going to be any sgnificant horsepower to be found by changing the cam. A road course style suspension alone I think costs as much as 7 tenths, maybe more when drag racing. Then take the weight into account: they're makin power :)

Not really. I think when BK and Paul built that engine, they took everything into account. I think it makes alot of power and perhaps contrary to what many here believe, once you have an in-the-ballpart-camshaft that works in your set-up, there isn't going to be any sgnificant horsepower to be found by changing the cam. A road course style suspension alone I think costs as much as 7 tenths, maybe more when drag racing. Then take the weight into account: they're makin power :)

Mike you maybe right.
But where the power is in the Curve will help.
BK cam LSA is wide..think he said 114 degrees.

If he got one with 107 he would shift the power to the midrange.
Could pick up about 3 tenths but that is about all.

D

Mike you maybe right.
But where the power is in the Curve will help.
BK cam LSA is wide..think he said 114 degrees.

If he got one with 107 he would shift the power to the midrange.
Could pick up about 3 tenths but that is about all.

D

Dan, pro stockers run 118 to 120 LSA and their power range is around 8800 to 10,000 rpm. The LSA is necessary for the engines to idle. For us only running to 7000 rpm, we can move the power around by degreeing the cam. We could install my engine in BK's car and it may go marginally faster, but not much and for reasons I've already stated.

We could install my engine in BK's car and it may go marginally faster, but not much and for reasons I've already stated.
Or the opposite, BK's engine in your car... It would probably still run 10's cwm5

LOL to all. I DO think a sick AI HC package will help me but as stated, I am surrounded by AI stuff at a lot of our races and I believe I would pick up .3-.5 at the most.

As far as Stony and a few others saying just do the cam...well hell if I'm going back into that motor, or should I say PAUL is going back in, then we are going to do heads too.

I like my consistent, drive-anywhere setup. I just put about 125 miles on her this past week playing around making sure she is ready to rock tomorrow at ETown.

Will post cold (45 and sunny forecasted) weather results here when I get home tomorrow night and also let you know how the ERE/AI 383 boys like Lance and Matrix did as well.

Also keep in mind, not that it matters much, mine is a 396.

It was built back in 2000 by Nick at Nutek before his business went down the toilet with all best-of-best all-Callies rotating assembly.

Found these pics of my junk in the archives...:D I know you guys like pikshers...

Dan, pro stockers run 118 to 120 LSA and their power range is around 8800 to 10,000 rpm. The LSA is necessary for the engines to idle. For us only running to 7000 rpm, we can move the power around by degreeing the cam. We could install my engine in BK's car and it may go marginally faster, but not much and for reasons I've already stated.

WELL YEAH Mike
NO Kidding..
They have so much Duration that a 120 LSA is necessary.
In fact all the hot Stocker and SS cams are built with similar LSA's.
AND
because they all are running at the 10k rpm range or better.

Which means using special Valves, Valve Springs and good stuff to keep it reliable.

Regarding BK engine, I concur with your opinion.
For more power it would require using a tighter LSA cam or more duration with his current LSA.
Which would make the car less streetable and require trailering.

BK..
You have a great combo.
Drive it like you do your life..

Dan

Etown yesterday. Tranny is almost done. 2-3 shift you can hear the engine rev a bit before it catches and starts pulling again.

Just thought you all would like to see this pic on the scales...:D

That's one fat whale! Full tank of gas, full drivers seat o'driver, 12 way Bonnies, 1500 carpet with dynamat, LTCC coil per cylinder, full nitrous bottle in trunk (not used), tool bag, etc. I listed anything I think added weight to the car.

I ran 12.45-12.55 although the slower runs had some serious slippage as the ETown right lane was a mess at the end of the day. It cost me a shot at the win IMO as I lost the coin flip to Keefer and had to go right in the finals. We were both tearing it up in the left lane going through eliminations. I bounced Nabby with an .019 light to his .060 light. :D Made him break out running away from me. A good light will slay a sandbagger every time. Also had an .025 light to send Dragon Wagon home.

So, anyway, 12.45-12.55 with 2-3 slippage. When I hooked I was in the 12.45-12.48 range all day.

60 fts were great as usual for a 4600 NA car:

1.64's all day when I hooked, 1.66-1.68's with slippage.

MPH's were all in the 107.5-107.8 MPH range.

I was about .3 slower than Lance all day, right where I expected to be.

BTW, I drove it there cranking the tunes and taking turns on the Belt Parkway at unrealistic speeds as usual. ;) Raced all day, and drove it home like a maniac as well. God I love this car.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?

It looks like AI is worth about .3-.4 sec over most competing combos but it is not going to make any b-body an 11 sec car without a lot of extra effort and weight reduction.

I would love to see a 4300+ heads/cam/stroker b-body on (drag) radial tires and a street suspension run below 12.3 seconds in non-freezing weather.

Etown yesterday. Tranny is almost done. 2-3 shift you can hear the engine rev a bit before it catches and starts pulling again.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?
Add a 1/2 to 1 qt of tranny fluid (despite what the dipstick (not you lol) says) and see if the revving stops.

Add a 1/2 to 1 qt of tranny fluid (despite what the dipstick (not you lol) says) and see if the revving stops.
yeah I got talked out of it because if I overfill and it heats up and overflows it's a DQ at the track - they tend not to like the dripping stuff

however, now that I'm home I think I will do that - my wife can sop up the mess in the garage, right?

i actually email AI before i saw this thread. im looking to get my head/intake work and i still havent gotten a text back.

that put aside i came to this thread to gain some knowledge but got a lil upset and almost quit reading when it got ugly. glad it's pickin back up. i got a few question..

how much gain is to be expected from a complete stock lt1 150k miles iron head to a 190cc head package along with the intake manifold cleaning inlet porting?

does the package comes with a 1.6 roller rocker?

if i sent them my iron head as core. will the package come back aluminum or do i have to provide them an aluminum head? (im not saying they can convert iron to aluminum but if they will switch from iron to aluminum ).

any impalassforum discount code?

is the price shipped?

how much will it cost to ship our core?

how long till they ship the part when they receive the money in full including our core parts?

warranty?

LE2/AI cam Ellwein 383

My SS with 4100 lbs race weight, 1st generation LE2 heads and AI 234/242 cam in a Ellwein 383 got 12.1's @ 111 all day at E-Town, but I still couldn't beat Keef :(

61 - 80 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.