Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts
BK, you may be one of the few other cars in my weight range. I'm at 4520 now so you need to run a few laps around the block, not the car but YOU, and see if you can get to 4550.

Some people can't make it past a buffet line.

All joking a side, I weigh 210 so I'm no light weight either and don't help my car much. A TRUE 12 second street car is a very fast car that most claim they have but really don't. You could make it run 10's and still drive it everywhere based on what I know about these carst this point. Faster than that at your weight and it starts to get hard that you can trust it to make it back from the track everytime.

I thought you had a 4L80E in that thing??? The right built 4L60E will more than live with what your doing.

LOL Jeff I already lost 50 lbs. I'm trying man!

And yes, I am tempted to one day gut it and really shake things up BUT my goal is to eventually finish the 502 and then make that my drive everywhere race car. Then I will look into weight reduction, etc.

The Flambe will then be returned to a pleasure driver and maybe even throw the 6-speed in her I've been dreaming about for 15 years.

The other 96 SS I sold to Shane had the 4L80E in it. This one is the tranny built by Terry in CT for Cliff and its been rebuilt a few times. I'm gonna try over-adding a little tranny fluid but I think since I spray through the shifts (even though it was just a baby 100 shot) I may have contributed to her demise.

Shane is promising me a Level Eleventy Billion 4L60E so we'll see what I decide to do. Of course, I've also thought of a Turbo 400 with a gear vendors overdrive...hehehehehe...

My SS with 4100 lbs race weight, 1st generation LE2 heads and AI 234/242 cam in a Ellwein 383 got 12.1's @ 111 all day at E-Town, but I still couldn't beat Keef :(
Well, you were slightly faster than Keith and I was slightly slower and he whupped us both. It didn't matter on Saturday, the bastard was ON! I thought I was on too with my back to back .025 and .019 lights until I guessed wrong on the coin flip and wound up right lane in the slop for the finals.

Enjoy!

Here you guys go, this is me taking out Nabster with the aforementioned .019 light to his .060 light.

It's worth the click just to hear the track announcer.

I was listening to him on the radio and I wanted to call the tower and tell him "well if you jackoffs prepped the track I wouldn't have to roast them until they were molten lava!"

BTW, just try sitting there 3 full seconds loading/heating the converter. It felt like an hour.

OMG, those pics of Keith! He must open his eyes ONLY for the tree!

Congratulations, Keith!

OMG, those pics of Keith! He must open his eyes ONLY for the tree!

Congratulations, Keith!
You think I should dare link people from the engine performance to that thread Pat?

They might be scarred for life if they see what goes on in other sections. :D

You think I should dare link people from the engine performance to that thread Pat?
They might be scarred for life if they see what goes on in other sections. :D
Oops....lost track of where I was! That comment was supposed to go in the racing section.

Edit: fixed..pasted it over there too :)

Well, you were slightly faster than Keith and I was slightly slower and he whupped us both. It didn't matter on Saturday, the bastard was ON! I thought I was on too with my back to back .025 and .019 lights until I guessed wrong on the coin flip and wound up right lane in the slop for the finals.

Try to remember that tire spin will kill reaction time. You likely reacted the same as the first two rounds, but the tire spin made it look like you fell asleep :).

back on subject guys.

got a text back this morning from AI. a lil unexpected so this is very expensive stuff.

their CNC'd GM LT1 packages are based on their labor and parts applied to your "643" or "374" GM aluminum castings. Description on the site included parts. parts that are NOT including would be rockers,studs,guideplates,gaskets, etc. but they are available. complete setup for reliable 100-120hp gain is typ - $2700 w/ gaskets,bolt,valve train, etc.

so in short if you look at the 100% CNC'd 190cc Street/Strip LT1 Cylinder Head Package.

they $1395 + Core* - Complete, Assembled, & Ready to Bolt-On.

the font is red is exactly what they wrote to me. i just change it up a bit so it comes from me saying what they said.

so to save money i guess the best way to go would be sending them our aluminum heads to be CNC'd and then we'll put the parts up together and save. it's nothing extreme but it's very good enough. im sure it would be much cheaper then we could buy our own springs, rocker, etc. etc. and get the AI custom bullet cam and have a great setup.

267 intake and 185 exhaust from some FULLY PORTED heads? Thats it? This is what you guys are always boasting about? WOW! My Edelbrocks that you talked so much crap about are ONLY VALVE POCKET ported and rounded out at the intake mating surface and dont even have a runner port and they flow 267 and 185. Dont believe me? Look it up because its fully documented tested and proven! WOW!! Well we all know what they say...Men Lie...Women Lie...BUT THE NUMBERS DONT!!!
Cause ALL flow benches are created EQUAL

You forgot to say...NOT! LOL.

Tad can show you benches that can get heads to flow 300+ if you want that to be your number.

Mike Harris said:
Try to remember that tire spin will kill reaction time. You likely reacted the same as the first two rounds, but the tire spin made it look like you fell asleep :)
Thanks Mikey, you made me feel better-er.

I had a whole side conversation with Pat about how major slippage on bias ply's isn't as bad, they push you forward even while spinning. My rock solid 1.64's only deteriorated to 1.68's with what felt like major slippage.

Usually on DR's you wind up losing a tenth or more on your 60ft time when you slip.

-----

Defdaboss, are you saying that's way too much? I think it's a good deal to have them fully assemble it to their specs.

LOL

yeah that, and the "big names" tend to overate the numbers.

Just look at the numbers from AFR... they have 300+ cfm head yet they cannot match a good set of AI/LE heads with LOWER flow numbers in OEM casting.

Not saying the aftermarket heads are not good, just saying you cant just take the stated flow numbers and translate them directly in HP.

no "big name" shop here. back in 03 Race Prep (no longer in biz) took my $150 ebay LT1 AL heads and did a "mild" port/polish, Ferra 2.02/1.60 valves with 987 springs. Buddy $ deal was about $1100 with a custom grind baby cam

Attachments

I thought I was on too with my back to back .025 and .019 lights until I guessed wrong on the coin flip and wound up right lane in the slop for the finals.
Try to remember that tire spin will kill reaction time. You likely reacted the same as the first two rounds, but the tire spin made it look like you fell asleep :).
Yep, same thing happened to me. I cut a descent light in the left lane, but both times in the right I spun pretty bad (diff. between a 1.44 and 1.57 60') and the light's went from .04x to .1xx. The track was probably too cold, and being E-Town, too many street cars tearing up the groove.

no "big name" shop here. back in 03 Race Prep (no longer in biz) took my $150 ebay LT1 AL heads and did a "mild" port/polish, Ferra 2.02/1.60 valves with 987 springs. Buddy $ deal was about $1100 with a custom grind baby cam

I used Roger's SF600 CFM numbers as the baseline for my heads.
not easy to get past the 260 mark

hey Bill, what's the flambe's compression ratio?

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.