Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
leaky/bad vacuum brake booster? video inside

already bought a reman unit (A-1 cardone oh god lol ...) but before i swap it out i made a short video of the problem.

stop me before i swap this unit if you think it might be something else (doubt it).

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
The gulping noise is normal.
A more accurate test would be to see if the booster holds vacuum with the engine off
Check valve , shaft seal at master , seals in reaction valve could be sources of leaks if the vacuum does not hold.

Also do a steady state application with the engine off. After the gulp there should be more noise or leaks. If you hear leaks or the pedal starts to go hard , then you have an issue.

If you do replace the booster make sure the push rod is correct as there is straight and offset types. Your (I think) will be straight.

Oh yeah , LOL LOL , just so looks like your thread.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have hard brakes too, it's not just the sound that prompted me.

oh and i'm gonna sand it smooth as glass, then paint it 2 tone and color sand and buff the hell out of the booster, just so it looks like you've been around my thread ;).

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did this test a while back, pumping the brake with the engine off until it got hard, then hold the brake and start the car to see if it would go down, and it did.

but i still have hard brakes, i mean real hard brakes, a panic stop will be like this:

massive air sound followed by not much brake.

however a very very gentle push on the brake will stop the car ok.

i've tested my brother's caprice and the vacuum gulping sound is nowhere near that loud, hardly noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts