Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am at my wits end trying to figure out why my Caprice is leaning significantly to the driver side in the rear. Measuring clearance from the wheel well lip to the top of the tire shows a difference of over 1" between the two sides. The problem persists with both stock 9C1 springs and Hotchkis lowering springs. I have no sway bar hooked up, and the car has brand new body bushings. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I should check?

·
Registered
845 Posts
it looks like you have done most of the common fixes for body "lean" for our cars. my next guess would be slightly bent control arms or completely worn control arm bushings.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have unbolted both shocks, but the problem persists. I'm running brand new fully adjustable upper and lower control arms w/ spherical rod ends, so there is no way for it to be a worn bushing issue. I'm totally stumped at the moment, so my current thinking is to take the wheels, shocks, and springs off to see if it will sit level on the bump stops with the rear supported on jack stands.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
Did you check the front springs? They can cause the car to tilt too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you check the front springs? They can cause the car to tilt too.
The front springs are indexed properly and appear to be alright. I recently switched them over to Hotchkis lowering springs while trying to solve the problems with the rear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My car is the same way.. just installed new cc613 spring's in back still close to 1" difference from side to side, I am guessing i have a sagged coil on the drivers front. still originals up there.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Determine whether it's all/part in the frame or in the body. Front issues can have big impact on rear. Sounds like bind on one of the few things you have not yet disconnected. You checked the mispunched frame hole I take it, and that you don't have any worn frameholes besides?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Had the same problem on my '91 cappy. took me forever to figure it out.
turns out it was the body bushing, after brushing up against a snow bank (my cappy was low) the frame and body seperated a bit. when it came back down the bushing wasn't sitting flush. gave me a 1" differance from side to side.
I re-centered the bushing, and made up a bottom half bushing. all good after that.

might be wroth checkin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts