Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys have your LED bowtie wired? Will the car battery fry it? I know it works great with a 9V battery, but I hate to try and wire it all up to a 9V. Maybe I could find the right resistor to lower the voltage from the car battery so I could hard wire it in. Any ideas or expertise?

Thanks

· Registered
358 Posts
You can probably tap into the front marker lights. One for ground, the other to the low filament. Then it will only be on when you have your running lights/headlights on.

· Registered
170 Posts
I did mine as follows:

- wires from LED light run under the hood insulator and through the wire loom for the hood light.
- behind the engine and to the interior through the rubber grommet for the steering column.
- power wire to fuse box
- use existing ground point
- switch installed in glove box

Pat

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Excellent! I didn't want to burn it out with the stock battery, so that was my big concern. I will probably go with the relay route. I do like the idea of hiding the switch in the glove box too. Thanks a bunch guys!

· Registered
597 Posts
Wire the positive side thru a 1/2 amp fuse right to the battery aux terminal or some other constant on source under the hood, and the negitive side to a switch inside, then ground.
This way, if a wire chaffes somewhere *inside* the car, the worst that can happen is the bowtie is on.

A relay is not needed, infact the relay coil may draw more power than the bowtie.

· Premium Member
2,786 Posts
this is the guy who make them. [email protected]
they are about 80 bucks on up depending on color.
i hooked mine up remote control.you don't need a relay for these nor will they harm your battery.i have left mine on for days with a weak battery and the car still started!! i have had mine for at least 4-5 years and it still looks new.they are LEDs so they use very little current draw.

the way i have mine hooked up is a little more money but it is alot cooler! at pep boys i think you can get ether a single universal remote or a 4 outlet one like i did.comes with a nice 4 button remote control.they are mainly used for fog lights and other accessories.they do have built in relays too.its a little overkill.then you also can get the single one for the fog lights that you dont even have to run wires.it works wireless. i have seen alot of guys hook a micro switch(radio shack) or art will sell you one with the bow tie that you can insert in the small holes of the grill.paint it black an it blends right in.but i like the remote way best.if the cops see you running with it on( mainly red or blue) some can be a prick about it.but with the remote version you can switch it off quickly from your key chain remote.

you can see mine on the youtube video of my police lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.