Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a fair bit of research, reading, and reviewing numerous posts, comments and recommendations on LED lighting for my Impala SS.
I purchased a number of different bulb types and styles and after spending way more money than I intended to; I believe I have arrived at the best possible combination of interior LED's for the SS. MY focus was simply to replace all the courtesy lighting and trunk lights with LEDs - I have Orange Pontiac bulbs in my instrument cluster so I was not interested in any instrument lighting and I also wanted it WHITE!

I tried nearly every available combination of 194 LED that would fit in each respective position and feel these are the best for each position.

The set up I finally settled on can all be had from two vendors:

Superbright:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?
action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/led_prods.htm

EBAY Store: http://stores.ebay.com/wardenjp2002

I'll warn you UP front, expect to pay around $100.00 for all of them.
That is 1ea rigid wire dome light, 2ea 6LED 194's for the rear passenger reading lights, 3ea 5 cell 194's for the front foot well lights and the glove box light, 2ea, 12 cell festoon's for the front doors, 2ea 3cell #74's for the mirror reading lights, 1ea 1WHP 194 for the ash tray, 2ea 3cell fuse bulbs for the passenger front vanity mirror, and one or two BRIGHT trunk lights. (15 Lights TOTAL)

About half of that $100.00 is for 4 bulbs - the Festoon bulbs that go in the doors and the flat 194's for the trunk. The trunk is somewhat overkill -especially with dual trunk lights!

I could not find any way around the expensive ones in the doors - you need a festoon bulb that is lit on both sides so it lights the map pocket and also lights "out" when you open the door - also Roadmaster clear lenses also make a BIG difference!

I have installed these in my 96 Impala, a friends 96 Impala and a slight variation in a 95 Wagon. You will not think any are TOO DIM!

Attached is an excel file with details.

I have also found a great light for the underhood lights but it requires riveting and soldering new ends inside the factory hood light so the rigid wire festoon can be rotated 90 deg.
I have dual hood lights that double as drop lights now! They are incredibly bright!

One of our local club members wants to convert all her lighting to BLUE LED's so I'm in the process or researching that.

I welcome your comments / questions.

[email protected]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cool white LED's are a bright white - pretty close to the 6000K HID Color. I was trying to get rid of the "yellow" tint the filament bulbs gave everything. I'll try to get some pics and post.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Night Pics-1

I'm not the best photographer but hopefully these will give you an idea - Interior

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Night Trunk Pic

Here is the trunk - it came out pretty good....

The two bulnbs were purchased from Superbright LED's.

The dual underhood lights - I popped the cover off of the underhood light to show the LED panel. I needed to rivet and solder some small copper contacts from an old flourescent tube fixture onto the
existing hood light contacts to rotate the loop contacts 90 degrees
so I could use this particular LED panel. (Best solution I could find)
($9.99 ea)
They came from:

Current Listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1pc-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ones for the vanity mirror were hard to find:
I do not have a P/N for them - (Not through superbright)
I finally located at:

Link to current auction (White):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1pc-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

These are availabel in white or blue!

I have made multiple purchases from this seller - great quality and pricing - Only issue is: plan on 2+ weeks for shipping - they come Post out of Hong Kong.

Also on these you'll need to turn the light chips facing away from you to the side or they will be TOO GLARING at night. I wish they had them with only 2 chips and not 3.

Shipping policy (I think is something like 1.80 for the first auction and then$1.00 for each additional auction when purchased together) total price from him was lower than most anyone else I have found for the same stuff.

·
Registered
488 Posts
hey now,

todd,

thanks for doing all the research i used it to make a nice and easy purchase.

do you plan on making a list for the exterior?

thanks again,

dave

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exterior LED's - NOT FOR ME

Sorry - NO
In researching LED bulbs in general I have not found drop in ones for the exterior that I thought would perform well and be reasonably priced. (Some might argue that the interior solution I arrived at didn't meet some of that criteria either)

What I have done as far as exterior lighting goes:
I have installed the Silvania Silver Star 2357 "clear/amber" bulbs in the front turn signal / running light position, this with Clear Image "standard" clear corner lenses gets rid of the amber reflectors and the amber tint to the reflectors in front. I have 6000K HID's with Halogen Halogen High.
(Worthless for high beams) but years ago I installed flash-to-pass. and they works great for "that" during the day.

For the taillights I chose some red glass regualr bulbs from:

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

scroll WAY DOWN......

1157 Cherry Red Xenon Natural Glass - $2.49 ea

These in the tail lights are an AWSOME RED - your stock ones will look orange next to these, TRY IT!

I did install one "red" LED 194 in each of the OB Tail Light Assemblies:

(From superbright led)
WLED-x5
1 High Flux LED & 4 x 3mm Radially Mounted LEDs, 220 degree beam

Of all the ones I tried these gave the best overall performance in that position.

Back to autoillumination.com - (They have a TON of stuff)
[FWIW I tried the Chrome 1157's for a less expensive option to loose the amber tint to the front turn signals and the "on" "AMBER"
is much deeper and darker than the #74 bulb in the corner lens - the color differences looked funny to me.
If you could get a matching #74 bulb it would work but they don't make them - I have thought about modifying the corners to use a 194 bulb and then use them. - It would be much cheaper than the$32.00 for the silver stars - (not got past the idea stage at this point)]

Perhaps some options think about.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
how the *** do you change the rear opera lights? i have the LED's ready to go in but i dont wanna break the apparatus.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Visor / Vanity Mirror LED's

See Reply #10 this thread..........
copied below:

Not sure the propoer name but I also call them "fuse lights"
But that means I'm old enough to remember when car fuses looked like this........

The ones for the vanity mirror were hard to find:
I do not have a P/N for them - (Not through superbright)
I finally located at:

Link to current auction (White):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1pc-3...Q5fAccessories

These are availabel in white or blue!

......you'll need to turn the light chips facing away from you to the side or they will be TOO GLARING at night. I wish they had them with only 2 chips and not 3.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rear seat reading (opera) lights - how to?

I have a couple of spare assemblies - I'll try to walk you through it.
I have seen a few of these all busted up from not being "gentle"

Remove screw through coat hook and gently pop assembly down from roof. Unhook wiring connector (gently pry down lock tab on bottom with fingernail or small flat blade screwdriver.

Take the assembly go inside wheree it is warm / cool depending on where your at. somewhere you can sit down comfortably and work on the assembly.

You'll just need a small flat blade (slotted) jeweler’s screwdriver
and a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Use the small screwdriver and gently pry (the black piece) away from the gray plastic tab - you can easily do this through the square on the lens side (where the coat hook was removed from)
- Do this while lifting the black piece away from the gray trim bezel
It "tilts in / out from the side by the switch.

With the black piece separated
Gently slide the electrical connector off the holder (pull apart)
On the side opposite the switch you will see two small tabs (pointy) that retain that side of the lower housing to the upper housing: while gently pulling apart (squeezing lower bezel between thumb and forefinger in left hand place push on the tabs toward the center of the housing and it should pop apart.

On the side with the switch press the wide tab inboard with the screwdriver tip and the light housing will fall out of the cover.

Pull the light socket out the back of the housing and discard bulb.

From behind gently pry the clear lens tabs inboard to get the light lens off the light assembly.

Then place socket in back of light assembly and with tiny needle nose pliers gently install the LED bulb from the front into the bulb socket - won't fit in from the back like glass bulb and TEST IN CAR

MOST LED"S are polarity sensitive so install LED in socket and hook up to car to test PRIOR to reassembling everything - or this could all just be for practice… (I won't say how I know this :))
If it does not illuminate - remove and turn LED 180 degress and reinstall.

If all OK carefully reassemble and reinstall

·
Registered
560 Posts
Diggin the dual trunk and hood lights. Did you just simply find spares and just splice them together? Another question. I'm having a hell of a time finding led replacements for the pass side visor with the vanity mirror.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Correct on the hood and trunk lights - I'm sure they are not available new any longer - have to look in the salvage yards. For the hood you will also need to flip the mercury switch over becase it is mounted the other way.

Look at post 16 in this thread for info on the vanity / visor lights.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.