Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I want to remove my original Delco radio/cassete on my '96 RDM wagon and put an aftermarket unit (with CD). While browsing the web i've found "Legacy" double din unit with CD/cassette etc.. and, very important, USA/Europe band switch (i must have the even frequencies as 106.8 or 102)!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38640&item=2456117400

Is Legacy a good unit (they're cheap..) ? Feedbacks about this make. I've found also a Pioneer FHP 4000 but the price is x 3 ....
Thanks

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nooooo.... no legacy. also the double din wont fit without custom modification to the dash. the regualr general motors is a din & 1/2. you might be better off getting a regular tape player and then a dedicated changer to go along with it.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ophidia31:
nooooo.... no legacy. also the double din wont fit without custom modification to the dash. the regualr general motors is a din & 1/2. you might be better off getting a regular tape player and then a dedicated changer to go along with it.
NO LEGACY

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't reccomend Legacy to my worst enemy... and +1 on the Double Din not fitting. It would be a waste to go custom for the double din and cram a Legacy in there.....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No comments on the Legacy, but do realize folks that the 94-96 Roadmaster does have a larger (i.e. Double-DIN) radio opening in the dash

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
Thanks to all for the replies, i was going to make TWO big errors :
- buy a "piece of junk" ,as someone told me,name Legacy.

- buy a double din car stereo (Pioneer, Sony, etc..) which 'll not fit in my 1 DIN & 1/2 dash opening. I was sure that i have a 2 DIN radio :(

I've found something else (no, itsn't a Pyle ..), i'll post a new inquiry because this has a wrong title now !
So again, thanks ...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phil : see my reply, you do have a double DIN opening. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most folks who said otherwise haven't looked that closely at a 94-96 Roadmaster interior ;)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
I just went from my '96 wagon where i measured the OEM Delco radio: the faceplate of the radio has a height of 95 mm (around 3" 3/4). Note that is the exterior size, not the opening in the dash which is a bit smaller.
So it's a 1 DIN & 1/2 or a 2 DIN ?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Phil : see my reply, you do have a double DIN opening. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most folks who said otherwise haven't looked that closely at a 94-96 Roadmaster interior ;)
nope, the wagons have the caprice interior, the regular roadmaster sedans have the bigger dash opening and thats oly on the newer 95-96's. its a din 1/2.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A 94-96 Roadmaster Wagon has the same interior as the 94-96 Roadmaster sedan. Trust me on this one....you might say I know a wee little bit about these cars

3.75" tall opening would be double DIN. Approx 3" high is 1.5 DIN.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not my car but i've the same radio (w/o CD ..)
As i stated the height is of the radio as seen on the pic is 3" 3/4. I've a '96 Buick Rdm wagon.
I'll trust every one but please be right, i don't want to buy a wrong radio ..

Thanks

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe din and 1/2 is 3" tall, Double din is 4".... I've yet to see a double din radio stock in a domestic car, double din is usually foreign... The opening in the dash may be big enough for a double din, but it probably won't bolt right in like a din kit or din and a half radio.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts