Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I've just over 200 miles on the car with the rear kit installed. I've not done any suspension tuning yet other than to drop down to a 300 lbf/in spring instead of a 450 lbf/in. Shocks are set at full soft both compression and rebound. It's not quite as soft and gooey as my stock 94 roadmaster wagon (driven within a couple hours of each other), it's far from harsh so there's room to adjust things. I went down in rate, maybe a bit prematurely, but the initial 50 miles was that the back was a bit stiff, but there's so much going on it's hard to tell.

The install wasn't "bolt in" by any means - however I'm putting these parts on a wagon, not a sedan so I'm presuming that's the main difference.

There were frame clearance issues with the coil springs

That was solved by rolling the lip up out of the way...

The other issue I ran into was that the lower mount brackets just wouldn't bolt in at a position that would work...Below is where the brackets want to be bolted to the axle and where the shock wants to be.

I can force it into position as shown below, but that puts a a lot of stress on the upper bushings, t-bar, etc

So, since I've a welder and am not afraid to use it :) I located the lower mounts to where the shock wants to be and welded them to the rear axle bracket. This was just for the initial fit up/test drive - it has since been fully welded and likely stronger than the bolted solution.

I did have to put a stack of 3 washers on the one side of the T-Bar on top to get things to line up - if you look closely you can see them in the below picture. I'm using M10 hardware so they fit the holes in the T-bar snugly, distribute the forces over a bit more area on the frame and keep things from moving around which is a good thing as it's a bit "busy" in this area...

The few times I've changed springs, I have not noticed any frame distortion, damage, etc, however it only has ~200 easy miles on it. If it starts to show any signs of damage, I'll be sure to share for everyone's benefit.

I don't have any pictures of the Tender Springs, but have installed them and would recommend them anywhere that it's practical to use them. Ride height adjustments are so much easier!

All of the above isn't meant to bash on Speed Tech's rear coil over kit - just explaining what I had to do to make it work on my car. I knew that there are some wagon/sedan differences and wasn't too surprised that I had to do some modifications. The parts are high quality, hardware is good, etc. I've done enough custom vehicle work to know that there are very few things that truly "bolt on" when it comes to these kinds of things. Exhaust, suspension, body etc typically require some sort of ingenuity, modification, etc due to the relatively wide tolerances of the factory parts.

I hope this helps - When I start suspension tuning (likely spring) I'll try to remember to come back and update this thread - Feel free to send me a reminder should I forget :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve been calling Global West Suspension periodically and asking them if they are going to build a rear crossmember for the B-Body cars and they’ve said not right now do to the pandemic but it sounds like they might.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m going with Global West Suspension control arms front/rear, and Viking Performance coilovers with Speedtech’s rear mounting bracket.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do you think the upper frame is plenty strong to bear the weight of the car on a sedan or wagon, I called speedtech the other day and they said it is, but I would feel safer if I had a rear crossmember to tie both sides of the frame and distribute the load.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Do you think the upper frame is plenty strong to bear the weight of the car on a sedan or wagon, I called speedtech the other day and they said it is, but I would feel safer if I had a rear crossmember to tie both sides of the frame and distribute the load.
Personally I believe it is and I've a heavy wagon too.

I can't imagine the sedans don't have the same rear crossmember as the wagons (save for the few extra inches of width). The shock mounts are immediately next to the crossmember. What are you looking for in a rear crossmember that isn't already there?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Have you seen QA1's new rear setup? They have a nice thick looking upper bracket that bolts in at three locations, and a double shear mount at the bottom. Last part number is the bracket package, if you want a different brand coilover.
That's a nice setup for the upper bracket. The one thing I'm not as fond of with it is that it moves the whole assembly down ~1.5" so the coil overs (and their adjustments if you have them) are more likely to get hit/damaged. The lower brackets are similarly well below the factory shock mount.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was just going by what Doug @ Global West Suspension said in a video on YouTube, but they did created the crossmember for a 64 Impala

If you Google, Global West Suspension 64 Impala rear crossmember. You’ll know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I've only put ~200 miles on the car and really haven't focused on the suspension at all (yet) so no feedback. Also haven't driven it since before my last post in this thread...I'll know more this summer :).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a set of the QA1's going into my RMW along with their tubular upper and lower control arms. I probably won't have the car on the road for another 2-3 months, gotta wait until the snow and salt are washed away on our marginal MN roads. I would be happy to provide some feedback if anyone would like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, please do Dandy. If you can please provide detailed pictures of the installation.
I will most likely take several photos of the install and might take some video as well. I will do my best to share it here. It will be a little while. Still a few more weeks before the parts arrive and I want to get a few other things done while the steering and parts are out of the way. I also have to figure out what I am going to do for a brake set up before I can put it all back together.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts