Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stiffer (1104/0929) shocks on my SS, and have had them for 130k+ miles.
Just curious what the life expectancy is on these.
What is to be expected for a non-aggressive driving style?
(I inherited this from the wife last year and got her a new car, so the car will be driven a bit more spirited now.)
I have no reason to believe they are "worn out" or anything.
But I assume they will eventually need replaced.

I also noticed that these are not available anymore on the Bilstein web site.
What are the new numbers that people are using now?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
With typical FL roads, I would think those are still in excellent shape at that mileage.
I've run Bilsteins on my pickup since 70k miles (now at 554k !).
When I replaced the original Bilsteins with ~270k on them, they were still in better shape than the OE shocks at 70k. In fact, they were closer to the condition of brand new OE shocks than 70k OE shocks.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
The Bilsteins I had on my 9C1 when I wrecked her had ~110,000 on them. I then transferred them to my current ride (See SIG) and used them for approximately 20,000 more miles.

When I did the entire suspension over, I replaced both front and rears. I thought it would be good peace of mind, since I was doing everything else, to replace them.

The ones I removed still looked pretty goo, with no signs of leaking oil, or outright failure.

Bilstein makes a darn good product.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
When I removed my 270k-mile Bilsteins, they exhibited no leakage, and compressing and extending them by hand I could tell no difference from the brand new ones. However, they were no longer properly damping the large amplitude low frequency suspension movement, which is the shock's main job in a performance application. The new ones restored that capability.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
i put mine on in 2009 i think. not sure how many miles but i am at 290K now.
just started replacing fronts in another thread this last weekend.

chasing a tire wear issue....
-ALF out....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just FYI, if you have a Bilstein shock that they no longer make, you feel it's wearing out and you don't want to replace them with something else, Bilstein offers rebuild services.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts