Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the other night that the indicator lights for the #3 and #6 station buttons on the OEM radio are out (radio with single CD disk player). All other courtesy lights on the radio are working. Easy fix or does this require opening up the radio? OR, is this even repairable?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
This requires opening up the radio and normally soldering skills. The hard part is sourcing the correct bulb. Where I am shipping and border fees are a real pain so I gamble and get a base model radio from a self serve and harvest bulbs from it.

I recommend that anyone planning to keep their car a long time gets a spare radio for replacement or parts.

I think you will find a bulb replacement thread on this site but the pictures may be gone. Also check the add a aux in thread. Any utube of a GM radio bulb replace will give you a idea of what you have to do.

1994 OM says 194 for glove box

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I just had the all new bulbs put in the AC / Heater control unit. I think there was about 8, one of them worked. It involved de-soldering and soldering on a circuit. Although I can do that, I decided not to risk it. So, for $29.95 I had them replaced. https://audioxpress.org/

Jeff did a fantastic job and shipped back the same day he received. Can't beat that. Returning shipping was included. I was also going to have my radio fixed as most of the lights were out. I had several extra radios, one of them had all lights working, so I just swapped. You just take the face plate off and send it to him. He has a video on how to do it.

Tom

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Just noticed the other night that the indicator lights for the #3 and #6 station buttons on the OEM radio are out (radio with single CD disk player). All other courtesy lights on the radio are working. Easy fix or does this require opening up the radio? OR, is this even repairable?
I've done this before on a Pontiac Radio and the process is pretty straightforward and outlined in this video.

you will certainly need to take the radio apart to get to the circuit board and need to have some basic soldering skills to do this yourself. There are sources on the interweb for finding replacement bulbs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IS there a link that shows how to remove the radio....or a step by step set of instructions anywhere?

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
audioxpress.org is who I sourced bulbs from. Several kinds/styles,and have made several videos on YouTube showing exactly how to do this.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
IS there a link that shows how to remove the radio....or a step by step set of instructions anywhere?
Not sure there are any instructions but in a nutshell....you need to remove the Lower Dash face plastic. I believe there are instructions somewhere to do that. Once removed....its really just 4 (7mm?) screws that secure the radio to the inner dash. Once those are removed, the radio slides right out and you unplug the Antenna and 2 Radio Plugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts