Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on my second Lt1 Fleetwood which, and haven't seen anything newer that I would want. I've been looking lately at limo's and wondered if they would make a good daily driver. The prices seem reasonable and fuel consumption would be better than my previous truck I guess, anyone have an opinion? This is my first post. I searched previous posts and didn't find any answers.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking of a B/D body, maybe a 6 door. I would have to sell my current FW if I did, cause I couldn't run both, no room or finances for it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always had a thing for limos. Factory limos though, not the fancy stretches. I believe the last factory limo was made in 1984. Those are the ones with the long second doors and the third window.
My favourite year was the 1975/1976 model. I was contemplating getting one just prior to purchasing my fleetwood, but I just couldn't justify using it as a daily driver. Let alone convince my wife I needed it for a Sunday car.
There is a 1970 fleetwood limo 4sale close to me and in mint shape. Black on black. Shes a beauty. Maybe one day.
Good luck with your hunting, there are quite a few to choose from because a lot of people just cant justify having it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like a 76 also but as a daily driver That 500 cid would use to much fuel, and how long would it last driven every winter.I ride a motorbike in summer and wouldn't get enouph use out of a summuer only car. I've seen several 94-96 streches, and wonder how much more it would cost to run compared to a regular Fleetwood.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride a bike as well, hence why the wife wouldn
't tolerate a summer only car. I would assume the strech wouldn't be that much over a regular fleetwood but i don't know about having it as a daily driver. The size alone would deter from the usual parking situations.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A close friend runs a limo service in Oklahoma City, including livery hearses and six door limos for funeral service. Back in the '90s, LT1 FW 6 doors were where it was at, and I used to drive a few (and still dabble in buying and selling 'em when I can buy them right.) Man, there's nothing like running 100 mph in a hearse or limo!

Another good option might be what's called a 24 hour car - a six door with selenoid center doors, TV and bar areas covered by tambour doors, a center seat that flips to face forward or backwards, and usually a divider. For funeral use, the amenities are hidden, seat forward, and divider usually down. For night time use, seats face each other, bar is open, and divider is up (can be used 24 hours a day, hence the name.) These cars aren't terribly common, but not terribly desireable these days, either, so prices are extremely reasonable. If you can find one used more for funerals than VIP service with low miles, it might make you a good car. The six doors I drove can still pull 21 mpg on the highway!!!

Yeah, parking is a bit tight, but they're about the same length as a long bed extended cab pickup, so not monstrous.

[ 01-27-2007, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Ruphrax ]

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info Fred, I have a couple of other questions to draw from your experience;
How is the cornering / handling compared to a regular B-D body?
Is the stretched frame anything to worry about structurally?
Do you happen to know the actual length of a 6 door? Just curious if it will fit in my garage.
Last one - how warm could it be kept in the back row in winter?

thanks in advance,
dave

[ 01-30-2007, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: rematar ]

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by rematar:
Good info Fred, I have a couple of other questions to draw from your experience;
How is the cornering / handling compared to a regular B-D body?
Is the stretched frame anything to worry about structurally?
Do you happen to know the actual length of a 6 door? Just curious if it will fit in my garage.
Last one - how warm could it be kept in the back row in winter?

thanks in advance,
dave
Cornering and handling depend on who built the car - look for one that sits up high. The plain ol' 6 doors are 36 to 40 inches longer (also depends on who built it) than a standard Fleetwood. Most have rear heat and A/C. No matter what, these aren't road stickers - if handling and cornering are a real concern, buy something else!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whos ever driven an LT1 Fleetwood limo?
Does the 260HP LT1 pull them around pretty good?
I would imagine an even bigger parasitic drivetrain loss in a limo, you would probably only get about 180-190HP at the rearwheels!

[ 02-04-2007, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: lou4612 ]

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Ruphrax;
No matter what, these aren't road stickers - if handling and cornering are a real concern, buy something else
I should have worded that differently, I am wondering how much worse it would be than our stock 93 wagon with the tow package. We would use it as a mom-mobile (I have a lot of selling to do to get there
) and I don't want something that is unsafe due to lack of maneuverability.
Thanks for the info Fred, I appreciate it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave, they're not "unsafe" if you know how to drive them. Perhaps a day's drive in a long bed extended cab 2wd (to keep it low) truck would give her some idea of what she's getting into.

Lou, base 6 doors barely add three feet and 700 lbs. There's really very little difference from driving a sedan except that the back window is smaller in the rear view mirror. Load up a couple "Biggest Loser" contestants and use a roll of duct tape to make your sedan back light smaller, and go for a drive while swinging a bit wider on the turns, and that's what it's like to drive a 6 door.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a snippet here about 'moms'. The fella I bought my regular sedan from was the son of the original mom & pop funeral home owners, and said it had been retired the year before with a whole 50,XXX on it and given to his mom for a driver. He said he was sorry to see it go but had to sell because it was getting too big for her, and said she had run into stuff at the parking lots and sideswiped something turning recently. (all backed up by a Carfax BTW)

She was likely in the 60-70 age range, but this is a regular wb sedan mind you. I don't know how many moms truly wake up every morning hoping to drive the same cars (and trucks) that men like to, and Fleetwoods and pickups are not likely to be on the top of their list, -- much less EXTENDED FWDs and EXTENDED pickups.

Just a word.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Dad's 6 door limo was built by Superior and it was SOLID! When we bought it we upgraded the front shocks to heavy duty Gabriels and put new GM air shocks in the rear, then the 6 door drove like my sedan did stock. Granted it only had 47,000 miles on it. After my sisters wedding we sold it to the mayor of a small county in West Florida.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts