Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, i have the opportunity to purchase an unused older version of a Lingenfelter camshaft and springs. the cam was originally purchased for a 92 vette.

the cam card reads:
@.006 duration= 274int 279exh
@50 duration= 213int 219exh
and 462int 470exh

now this has me thinking its a LPE74216 but heres the kicker. the Lobe seperation is 114 degrees. I called Lingenfelter and talked with Jeff (dont know him, that's just his name) he did some crunching thinking the came was spec'd for 1.5 rockers and said the cam would be fine for my car but a little lopey and should do well with some good flowing heads and 1.6 rockers and told me it was in fact a flavor of the 74216 cam and had me write that number down. of course he then tried to sell me his heads. LOL

I have the feeling this came is shy on lift and the 114LS is making me think supercharged application.

I'm running N/A and plan to just do a cam swap, heads, headers and exhaust. with all the hair to make them work (bigger TB, injectors, PCM programing that sort of thing) I have 3:73's now and live where i have no emissions testing so that is not a concern. tranny and TC will get done as the motor work is going on.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With all the work and expense involved with a cam swap, I'd make sure to give it my best shot on the specs, rather than save $100 and sacrifice performance.
I would only use that cam in a boosted application.
112 deg is the maximum lobe separation you want in a NA 5.7" rod 350.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Pat. Lingenfelter's milder cams are 50 state legal, including that one, thus the large LSA. I lean towards Crane for drag strip use, and Comp for passing power on the highway.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by stonebreaker:
I lean towards Crane for drag strip use, and Comp for passing power on the highway.
that's a very generalized statement that many would disagree with...
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too much LSA, smooth idle and good top end, medium mid range, I think you would do better (assuming you have an LT1) with a tighter LSA. You will lose a fair amount of the bottom end torque you love.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by AdioSS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stonebreaker:
I lean towards Crane for drag strip use, and Comp for passing power on the highway.
that's a very generalized statement that many would disagree with... </font>[/QUOTE]Comp normally runs 4* advance on their cams, while Crane runs 5*. That, more than anything else, shows where each company puts most of its focus. You can see how much the advance affects performance because the HOT cam, a Crane product built to GM specs, has only 3* advance, and loses mucho torque compared to the 227 and 845.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by stonebreaker:
You can see how much the advance affects performance because the HOT cam, a Crane product built to GM specs, has only 3* advance, and loses mucho torque compared to the 227 and 845. [/QB]
I disagree with this statement. Hotcam makes the torque higher in the powerband because it has more duration than an 845 or 227 cam. My car dynoed consistently over 360 rwtq. The only track run I made with the current setup resulted in a 1.74 sec 60' time, and my suspension setup is not very drag friendly (gw springs, konis adjusted to full firmness, ho sway bar).
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by AdioSS:
there is more to their cam designs than that
Of course there is, and I'm not running down either company. I think they have different design philosophies, that's all. I think Crane targets the street/strip car better than Comp. Which one is actually faster is going to depend on a whole lot of other factors, but if you check the dynamic DT's you'll see that Crane cams dominate numerically at the drag strip.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by stonebreaker:
..but if you check the dynamic DT's you'll see that Crane cams dominate numerically at the drag strip.
DT's? Do you mean the Dynamic ET page?

Hmm, Dale Baseman, Bernie, Mike Fuller, Voss, Mike Smith, Mark Proper, Pat Ebarb, Troy Clark, Keith Brantley, Scott Barnes, Robert Gulley, Grant Boss, Jerry Cummings, Debski, Paul Roswell all run cams by Comp. That's 16 out of the top 25. Karl is the only one that runs Crane stuff. I don't count the 845 or the Hot Cam as Crane stuff because they are GM designs.

Now, Crane dominates what? :D
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, i went ahead and passed on it. the low lift alone was enough for me. then through in the 114 LS not worth it.

I think I'm going to just go "bolt on" nuts first and see what i come out with. my fear is building up the top end and spinning a rod bearing.

One thing leads to another the next thing you know i've dumped a bunch of money in it and there sits a 383 LOL

the wife REALLY likes driving the car and i dont want to take that away from her.

StoneBreaker, we should hook up sometime. i live in Bunker Hill (Bethalto area).

now, should bolt on nuts include a nice set of worked over aluminum stockers?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by AdioSS:
I don't count the 845 or the Hot Cam as Crane stuff because they are GM designs.

Now, Crane dominates what? :D
Cheston,

The LT4 is a GM design, but the 845, 846, and 847 are Crane Powermax cams repackaged. I should have been more clear - Since we're talking about a heads/cam car here, I was referring to the heads/cam NA class. Most of the guys you're referring to are running built motors with power adders. Not really applicable in this situation, is it? :D
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Fast for 5:
StoneBreaker, we should hook up sometime. i live in Bunker Hill (Bethalto area).
Oh yeah, that's not too far. Have you joined GRAIL? We have a Yahoo group.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ordered the 74216 cam myself. When it came in it had the 114 LSA on the box and 112 LSA on the paperwork so called Lingenfelter. They stated it was a miss print on the box and the paperwork was correct at 112LSA. Have not installed it yet but I am looking forward to seeing how it improves performance with 1.6rr's.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by stonebreaker:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AdioSS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stonebreaker:
I lean towards Crane for drag strip use, and Comp for passing power on the highway.
that's a very generalized statement that many would disagree with... </font>[/QUOTE]Comp normally runs 4* advance on their cams, while Crane runs 5*. That, more than anything else, shows where each company puts most of its focus. You can see how much the advance affects performance because the HOT cam, a Crane product built to GM specs, has only 3* advance, and loses mucho torque compared to the 227 and 845. </font>[/QUOTE]Randy:
You can always add a 2/3/4 Degree Cam Bushing to Advance (or Retard) a Cam. Always wondered how a Hot Cam would behave with a few Degrees Advance.

Probably perform like a stronger 845 with a good Bottom end though lowering the Peak Shift Points.
If anyone does this retard the PCM Timing a 1/2 Degree for every Degree of Advance.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Ram Air 9C1:
....Hotcam makes the torque higher in the powerband because it has more duration than an 845 or 227 cam....
It would make torque lower in the power band if it had more than 3* timing ground in.... My old 224/230 cam made better torque down low due, in large part, to its 4* timing.

KW
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Fast for 5:

the cam card reads:
@.006 duration= 274int 279exh
@50 duration= 213int 219exh
and 462int 470exh

now this has me thinking its a LPE74216 but heres the kicker. the Lobe seperation is 114 degrees. I called Lingenfelter and talked with Jeff (dont know him, that's just his name) he did some crunching thinking the came was spec'd for 1.5 rockers and said the cam would be fine for my car but a little lopey and should do well with some good flowing heads and 1.6 rockers and told me it was in fact a flavor of the 74216 cam and had me write that number down. of course he then tried to sell me his heads. LOL

I have the feeling this came is shy on lift and the 114LS is making me think supercharged application.

I'm running N/A and plan to just do a cam swap, heads, headers and exhaust. with all the hair to make them work (bigger TB, injectors, PCM programing that sort of thing) I have 3:73's now and live where i have no emissions testing so that is not a concern. tranny and TC will get done as the motor work is going on.
FLACHSS has this exact cam in his 350. He has gone deep in the 13's... I think the best was a 13.1 but consistently 13.3's. He has a set of mildly ported AL heads (clean up and some bowl work), 3.73's, 3600 TC, and tuning. I don't know about the LSA but it sounds like it has a lil lope, especially with his exhaust (turbo muffs I believe) but nothing outrageous. We thought that it was a bit small but he proved us wrong at the dragstrip.

While this may be a bit too late Fast for 5, someone else might use this info.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top