Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did some of you guys had experiment or have on you car the lloyd elliot 1.2 cam?

any comments on this cam?

· Registered
1,162 Posts
post all the specs you have on that cam, that'll get you more responses.

if you want I can sell you my 846 cam, I'll be going with a turbo cam.

you know what you should get? a fully built 700r4 with 9.5" a good converter, freshly rebuilt, installed, for 2000$... now that you should get! (i want a th400 :( )

· Registered
2,326 Posts

you know what you should get? a fully built 700r4 with 9.5" a good converter, freshly rebuilt, installed, for 2000$... now that you should get! (i want a th400 :( )
Why a 700R4? I didn't think they were any stronger than a 4L60E, just non electronic. Wouldn't a 4L65E be a better choice, or if non electronic how about a 200 4R with better all around gear ratio.

As for you, you should think about a 4L80E. It's strong, same 1st gear and has an OD, which you can use with a taller rear gear for the high MPH. Your 60's won't be that great, but if you want it all, you can even get a Trans Brake valve body.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Why a 700R4? I didn't think they were any stronger than a 4L60E, just non electronic. Wouldn't a 4L65E be a better choice, or if non electronic how about a 200 4R with better all around gear ratio.

As for you, you should think about a 4L80E. It's strong, same 1st gear and has an OD, which you can use with a taller rear gear for the high MPH. Your 60's won't be that great, but if you want it all, you can even get a Trans Brake valve body.
700R4 because thats what I have for sale :D

I went with the 700r4 because I wanted a reverse/manual valvebody with no engine braking, to use with a ratchet shifter. I LOVE that setup, it's awesome. I would keep it if you could make it reliable @ 1000 hp. The converter is also pretty wicked... it drives almost like a stock unit on the street but snaps @ 3500 rpm at the strip. I went 1.5x 60' when it hooked with what felt like a very tight converter on the street. It's setup for nitrous with anti-baloon plates and all...

The th400 I'm getting will also get a reverse/manual valvebidy and it will have a 'brake. I'll get a 3.23 gear in the diff and drive with 28" tires so the OD isn't really all that important anymore... it's a toy/weekend warrior/street driven drag car kinda thing now :)

I was tempted by the 4l80, but it seems like there are more possibilities with the th400 and it's cheaper.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
700R4 because thats what I have for sale :D

I went with the 700r4 because I wanted a reverse/manual valvebody with no engine braking, to use with a ratchet shifter. I LOVE that setup, it's awesome. I would keep it if you could make it reliable @ 1000 hp. The converter is also pretty wicked... it drives almost like a stock unit on the street but snaps @ 3500 rpm at the strip. I went 1.5x 60' when it hooked with what felt like a very tight converter on the street. It's setup for nitrous with anti-baloon plates and all...

The th400 I'm getting will also get a reverse/manual valvebidy and it will have a 'brake. I'll get a 3.23 gear in the diff and drive with 28" tires so the OD isn't really all that important anymore... it's a toy/weekend warrior/street driven drag car kinda thing now :)

I was tempted by the 4l80, but it seems like there are more possibilities with the th400 and it's cheaper.
Oh, yeah, the 700R4 sounds like the best choice. Honestly, what you have there sounds very nice.

Can't you get a 4L80E with a MVB? I think you're going to want the OD gear, and the cost to build comparable TH400 and 4L80E isn't that far apart.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh, yeah, the 700R4 sounds like the best choice. Honestly, what you have there sounds very nice.

Can't you get a 4L80E with a MVB? I think you're going to want the OD gear, and the cost to build comparable TH400 and 4L80E isn't that far apart.
i'm pretty sure you can get a MVB for a 4l80, just not sure if you can get a reverse patern. I'll look into it, nothing is done yet :)

EDIT:

OOHHHHH YEAH!!! :D http://www.tciauto.com/WhatsNew/Files/gm4l80etransbrakevalvebody.pdf

"Once installed, the TCI® GM 4L80E Transbrake Valve Body modifies your transmission into a
full manual shift, reverse pattern unit with an impressive Pro Tree transbrake feature. It also
retains torque converter clutch engagement in overdrive and still allows lockup in lower engine
rpm. Best of all, this performance valve body from TCI® does not require the use of an
aftermarket transmission controller or deep transmission pan to facilitate operation of the 4L80E
transmission."

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

when are you able to install it??? a mean i will store my ride soon so this fall or next spring???

at 2000$ the ratchet shifter come with it?? or not?? it will fit in my center console???

i am ready to get fast!

· Registered
1,162 Posts
when are you able to install it??? a mean i will store my ride soon so this fall or next spring???

at 2000$ the ratchet shifter come with it?? or not?? it will fit in my center console???

i am ready to get fast!
I can install it this weekend if you want... cwm4

I'm keeping my ratchet shifter. Your stock shifter will work with it no problem but it's a good idea to upgrade to a ratchet shifter. :)

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can install it this weekend if you want... cwm4

I'm keeping my ratchet shifter. Your stock shifter will work with it no problem but it's a good idea to upgrade to a ratchet shifter. :)
you will get some news from me soon!

---pat

· Registered
1,162 Posts
any comments on this cam?
Pat sent me the specs by email:

224/224 dur @ 0.050, .570"/.570" lift and 108 LSA
It's a Bret Bauer cam made for LE.

I think it should be a pretty decent cam :)

It'll have that nice lumpy idle you are looking for and a good powerband. Not sure it's going to be an ideal choice for a daily driver... more of a street/strip type of cam IMO.

· Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Pat sent me the specs by email:

224/224 dur @ 0.050, .570"/.570" lift and 108 LSA
It's a Bret Bauer cam made for LE.

I think it should be a pretty decent cam :)

It'll have that nice lumpy idle you are looking for and a good powerband. Not sure it's going to be an ideal choice for a daily driver... more of a street/strip type of cam IMO.
Based on my observations of my own cam from AI, which is more aggressive than this 224/224 cam, I'd say it will make a decent daily driver cam. Certainly zero driveability problems with a good tune. Fuel mileage will probably be as good as the 846, and low/mid range pull will be better.

· Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Had that exact cam in my old setup(LE1.2). most def not a DD cam. It kicked A$$ down low-mid range, but fell off slightly up. this was with a set of ported LE1's. had a very choppy idle
I'd bet there was a tuning issue.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Had that exact cam in my old setup(LE1.2). most def not a DD cam. It kicked A$$ down low-mid range, but fell off slightly up. this was with a set of ported LE1's. had a very choppy idle
got a sound clip?

· Registered
2,090 Posts
I have that same cam sitting in my closet....waiting for the rest of the parts

· Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I was guessing!

I just got some info that indicates this LE1.2 is not a cam for a street car. Radical lobes will eat your valvetrain in short order. Sorry to bash it, but I'm obligated to retract my previous comments that would lead you astray.

· Registered
2,090 Posts
lilron, what mufflers were you running in the vids?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.