Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed up. I had thought I had taken enough pictures of my engine before I took it out. Bone Head me, ? I didn't. Now I'm trying to find the bracket that attaches to the lower portion of the AC bracket. There are two holes in the block in the lower passenger side and two holes in the aluminum bracket. They do not fit each other. If I remember correctly there was a steel bracket that connected the aluminum bracket to the block. If anyone has or could take a picture I sure would appreciate it. Fred?
Thanks in advance.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I saw this same post with another title, and no reference to a specific engine. The LO5 AC bracket has two braces, one to the intake manifold, and one to the third header bolt. The one to the intake goes under the stud that holds the fuel line clamp, and the one going to the header goes from the back of the outer AC bolt to a stud in the third header/exhaust manifold bolt. You can use a stud for the header bolt with a nut to hold the header/exhaust manifold, and a second nut to hold the brace. The original exhaust manifold bolt has threads on both sides of the head, like a stud with a nut half way down the stud.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still don't see this in the New Posts. I had to do a detailed search. Fred I appreciate your answer. It helps but I have stored away the parts and a picture would sure help. I just have trouble envisioning your description. Bear with me my Friend.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
The brace is a piece of 1/2 inch round stock with flattened ends. One flattened ends has an elongated hole drilled in it, and is bent about 20 deg. The other end has a slot, and is bent at about 70-80 deg. The abruptly bent end goes on the back of the passenger's side of the compressor, and the brace angles down to the third manifold bolt on the exhaust manifold. I do not have a picture.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks. I think I know where it is. You Da Man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have any pictures of my 93 L05 Wagon engine handy but here are some shots of my 91 L03 Wagon. Both have the same installation and share the same bracketry for the AC compressor. Fred's descriptions is correct.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I sure do appreciate the pictures. It helps a bunch. Now I need to see how the lower portion of the bracket attaches to the block. I've searched a lot online and I can't find how that's bolted on. There are two bolt holes in the block and what look like corresponding holes in the bracket but they are a little off on alignment. I've looked all through the FSM and it doesn't show how it's attached.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Mark, I told you that it bolts to the 3rd exhaust manifold bolt. There is usually a stud with a nut head in the middle. The stud bolts the header to the block, and the brace is held to the stud by another nut.

AC brace.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fred is correct. Dorman sells a kit of exhaust bolts for the OE manifold which comes with the studs. Part number is 675-217.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it all figured out. The new heads I have don't have a bolt hole that lines up with the hole in the upper right side of the bracket. I think I have an idea how to remedy that. I will also have to relieve a spot on the bracket that hits the water pump I have. (It's aluminum) Thanks to both of you for the pics. I was thinking that there was a steel bracket that attached to the bottom of the aluminum bracket just in front of where a mechanical fuel pump would mount and bolted to the block. It was all a SNAFU on my part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts