Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally thinking I'm ready to put a few mods on my car, but where do I start with a TBI motor? My old truck was easy because there was no smog/computer control involved, so I'm kinda starting fresh here. I was thinking of putting a Hypertech chip in it, but that kinda got shot down. Right now I'm currently thinking of putting an MSD 6A (or 6AL), Flowmasters, highflow cat, K&N, and electric fan setup on my car. What am I forgetting or what shouldn't I put on it and why? All opinions/references will be greatly appreciated...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First of all IF your car needs it, change the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I would also change the O2 sensor
now that I have said that, start with a dual exhaust setup, (high flow cats & Mufflers) I didn't :confused: with mine and am still trying to get there. (No more avail $$$)

I did however start big ($$$) with a new (actually from my GTA's orig motor) set of heads with oversized valves, Roller rockers, and new lifters (one of my originals had collapsed).
I'm currently working on the cheap cold air intake listed on this forum (search for Caddy intake).
Electric fans (probibally my next mod) would be a big improvement over the POS Clutch (fan) setup I've got.
I have been warned of less than desireable performance & reliability on the MSD box, I haven't tried one so I couldn't tell you more, I'll leave that to the other forum members. There are also a few posts under the exhaust section that recommend against the Flowmasters due to questionable flow thru them, But IMO if you like the flowmaster sound, go for it, They should at least flow better than stock.

I'm starting to run on here so I'm going to take a break.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to think my mods have helped, but I still haven't had enough (I only have about $800 in the project including car & all mods).

a few other alternatives are to go with a cam swap (my new cam is waiting patiently in the garage) but that might not go over very well in Cali however. I also am looking at the Accel 300+ ignition for mine but I haven't researched it yet.

Here's the total list of what I have done
POS Hypertech chip ($free) = no change, removed
Complete Tune-up = fixed severe (151K mi) miss & gave back the ability to smoke em'

Removed (metal insert) restriction in airbox = Sounds better at WOT :D :D
Cam swap W/new lifters & Roller tip Rockers = Big time SOTP Difference car feels completely different (Faster)

Cross drilled & slotted front rotors = Now have ability to get out of trouble ALMOST as fast as I get into it

Future plans include
Electric Fans, Dual Exhaust, headers, ??Accell?? ignition, Eaton Posi, new Intake (I have an Edelbrock TBI intake, but don't want to use ""Machine"" it), cam swap, new (one that works) computer reprogram, ??454 TBI??, and about 500,000 other "bad" ideas my GF will want to kill me for :D

Link to Caddy Intake (From The Lazy Destroyer)
I'm still looking for the airbox for mine :mad: http://www.geocities.com/thelazydestroyer/caddyintake.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a few cheap mods to my TBI while I had it off. I added a 1/4" spacer to the injector pods, and a 1" spacer underneath the TB itself. Plus I whittled the metal ring spacer thingy down to a bare minimum. I doubt I'll see any big gains if any, but I like tinkering. Hope to post photos later today.

The Third Gen F-body site has lots of interesting TBI info; it's where I got the info for my TB mods.

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CC Rider you never posted after I told you how to time your car! How did it go? Find that little ETS/EST pigtail?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by AFenderplayr:
So what did you do with the old Hypertech?
Still in the Orig box, in the Orig location I found it, Under some Crap in the trunk

But the CARB/EO sticker looks Sooooo good on the doorjamb (covered a DEEP scratch) :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by cc rider:
Now that I have a photo to post, I don't know how to do it! Oh great forum gurus, will you enlighten me?

c.
post it on a webserver and then include the following bit of script in your post...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I posted a shot to my cardomain page.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/380960/2

Last night I set the timing, after disconnecting the ETS/EST? pigtail. No sweat. It was a little challenge to keep her running while I disconnected it, I had to go back and forth adjusting the distro a couple times since the ECU was advancing (?) it a bunch. All is well now. EXCEPT for the dribble of coolant coming from the waterneck! Aaargh! But I re-installed it late last night.

Haven't taken the test drive yet, but all signs are positive. I have a couple more photos I need to post, including my hack job on the air cleaner ring.

I seriously doubt these mods are going to add up to any SOTP improvement, but it was fun, if a bit frustrating.

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should be able to feel some power increase with the ultimated TBI. I also had some WOT issues when I did that mod. I used some cop car injectors instead of the stock ones because I figured with my intake/exhaust/and TB porting work they would compensate for the more air it was getting. I was dead wrong and running REAL rich at WOT where the car just wouldnt go, and it even had some electrical symptoms too. Go figure. But once it was all corrected, I did notice it on the highway. Modifying these cars can EASILY get very frustrating. Even my AIR pump delete mod got pretty bad at one point

And even if you dont, then you still have the experience gained to go on to bigger and better mods ;) :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AIR pump delete?! Tell me more! I would love to get rid of all that stuff.

I'm just now driving her around a little, and she's doing okay, but seems a little hesitant when accelerating, like it's still learning the new setup. I'll see how it goes for a few days.

Ultimately I want to swap out for a 360 c.i.d. with multi-point FI, so I'm not going to invest a ton of money in it as is.

Happy Motoring!

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by cc rider:
AIR pump delete?! Tell me more! I would love to get rid of all that stuff.
Click me

This is the link for the AIR delete. The only couple things to add to this is that I do not know the plugs needed to use on the 4 holes in the passenger manifold. I just left my black check valve in place which probably isnt the best since it leaks a little bit. Also, I had to use a 94.5" belt for mine, but many others seem to use the 96.8" belt. I never found out what makes some cars different, but just a head up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LD, I think I'll get busted if I take it off, since mine's a 1991 so it's outside the TSB range. A buddy of mine thinks you could remove the pump, disassemble it, grind the impeller down to a nub, then put it back together. That way it LOOKS fine but doesn't do anything.

Is it true that the AIR pump does not actually reduce emissions, but merely adds more air to the exhaust, reducing the concentration of pollutants rather than their actual amount? I've heard conflicting views.

Thanks!

c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CC, the AIR pump puts in air to help burn unburned fuel so it doesn't enter the cat converter and wreck it. It does this primarily when the engine is cool. The pump runs all the time but there is a solenoid that only allows the pumped air to enter when the ECM is calling for it.

The amount of power it takes to run that puny little fan is tiny. I wouldn't worry about it from that aspect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Paul. I can see how TBI could produce less-than-complete combustion; it seems only one small step up from just a carb. I wonder if multi-point FI is what eliminates the need. Thanks for the info on the amount of power it draws. Now I just want to remove it to unclutter the compartment. I'll re-evaluate the issue when I replace the engine...

Just realized we (okay, 'I') have totally hijacked this thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program: L05 TBI Mods...

c.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.