Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I am in the middle of one here. I am going to the air lift springs so I am doing the compressor modification. I have brought the compressor unit into my office and I have it on a test bench.
My system is a 93 so it is slightly different then the one shown in the instructions here.
Mine has 2 fittings in the top of the desicant can. I have a pressure source in one and a pressure gage in the other. If I put 15 psi to the thing and then close it off it immediately drops to 7 psi and then bleeds off to zero (over a minute or two), this is with the stock spring in it. I have put a few other springs and I can change the immediate drop off pressure. I am wondering if the little diaphram is dried out and no longer sealing properly? Is this a service part? Any info at all about what I am doing here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nick, if it is coming back out the port that goes to the compressor then yes it is bleeding back through the diaphragm.
Make sure it is indeed coming through the dryer though.
It gets imprinted over time but can be put in flipped over to act like new.
If the diaphragm is cracked or ripped contact me and we can work something out.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I believe it is coming thorugh that port back into the compressor. I ended up taking the dryer off of the compressor to check it and I can hear the air until it gets to about 2 psi and then nothing but I am sure my ears are just not calibrated that good
. The only other place it could be going is leaks in the connections I made but I soaped them and I don't see any leaks.
Am I testing this the right way? There is a slight imprint on the diaphragm. There are no rips or tears though.
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI all, I did what gerry said and flipped the diaphragm over, it helped, I attached some .020" silicone rubber to the diaphragm and it works great. It drops to 3.8 lbs and seems to hold pretty good. As close as I can tell all the residual pressure loss is coming from the fittings I have at the top of the unit (which is a test deal that I rigged up not the actual fittings).
So I think this horse has been beaten all it can be by myself and I am going to put this back in the car this weekend, re lower the front end, get an alingment stop driving my Ford Tempo and start driving the pimp mobile again.
Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.