Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when checking fluid levels today on my 1994 roadmaster wagon i notice that my a/c compresser pully is not moving, the belt is simply riding on the locked pully, belt looks ok and the car is running fine, smooth idle, no noise. but this should be turning right? should'nt this be making all kinds of racket? the a/c had worked fine all summer, and i thought on the lt1 the comp runs all the time? this is my DD and its been sub zero temps here in central ohio lately, so not really up for replaceing the a/c comp right now. but i know what i'm in for. is there any thing i can try right now? any input would great, thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the pulley were locked, the engine would struggle to run, if at all, and there would be plenty of squealing and smoke. The pulley has a clutch which engages only when you have switched the AC or defroster on. Switch the AC or defroster on and observe the outside of the pulley area you previously noticed was not turning. It probably will be turning now unless your system is not charged or working properly. It sounds like you have never noticed proper compressor clutch operation until now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the pulley were locked, the engine would struggle to run, if at all, and there would be plenty of squealing and smoke. The pulley has a clutch which engages only when you have switched the AC or defroster on. Switch the AC or defroster on and observe the outside of the pulley area you previously noticed was not turning. It probably will be turning now unless your system is not charged or working properly. It sounds like you have never noticed proper compressor clutch operation until now.
hi, thanks for the info, i was thinking that the pully turned even when the ac or defrost was off, the a/c works very well on the car, so i guess all is well, thanks again!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree. If the clutch is not engaged, it can give that appearance. Not much of the spinning pulley is actually visible. There would definitely be a lot of commotion if it was frozen stuck.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
hi, thanks for the info, i was thinking that the pully turned even when the ac or defrost was off, the a/c works very well on the car, so i guess all is well, thanks again!
the pulley always must rotate. the clutch is connected to the ac compressor drive shaft. when the ac compressor is working power goes to the clutch coil. this causes the clutch to stick to the always moving pulley to rotate the ac compressor. I would remove the belt and see if you can rotate this pulley with ease. if not then you got trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I checked it today,
warmed up with the defroster on and nothings moving, the face of the pully,the part that the belt rides on,all are not moving, as far as I can see. So this is the compresser clutch locked up then?

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Well I checked it today,
warmed up with the defroster on and nothings moving, the face of the pully,the part that the belt rides on,all are not moving, as far as I can see. So this is the compresser clutch locked up then?
if the temps are cold the compressor clutch will not apply to the always moving pulley. remove belt and see if the pulley will rotate buy hand easy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.